Import freepbx13 backup into freepbx14

Hi
It’s possible import freepbx13 configuratiion into freepbx14 using freepbx13 backup?
thanks

No. You cannot use a FreePBX 13 backup file to restore to a FreePBX 14 Server. There is a PBX Upgrade in Module Admin but it is BETA.

Any ETA as to when the Upgrade module will be production ready?

Hi!

I believe the one in Module Admin, the one intended for non-distro systems, is not beta…

It is only the upgrade for distro systems which is beta AFAIK…

(It’s waaaaay more complex to do since it changes your OS as well…)

That being said, if you have a Product distro system and you are offered to update if to FreePBX 14 in module admin, don’t do it!

What it will suggest you do is run the “script” which is currently beta…

Have a nice day!

Nick

Hi!

There are still people reporting problems so I think it’s too early for them to give an ETA…

I ran the earliest version that was made available to outside testers and I have a working FreePBX 14 system right now (which didn’t need to be reinstalled) but it required a lot of time (and patience) from both FreePBX devs and me to get it back to a working state…

That was done on my home test server…

I say “test” but it is the server which handles the calls for my home so, in a way, a Production server.

I did have proper backups and I had an automatic failover solution in place which automatically redirected inbound calls to mobile phones and I setted up something else when I had to allow outbound calls from the house phones…

The current script has a lot of these problems fixed but there are people reporting weird problems like lack of CDR (which is a problem I had to but for different reasons) and issues updating some modules.

As for me my system works but the boot time seems to be a lot slower than it should be. I believe I am an idea of what is causing that slow boot but not why it does so…

(A lot of time seems to be taken by the initialization of a certain piece of hardware…)

Right now I would not suggest you to run this on a Production server unless you have a loooooot of time on your hands in case something goes wrong and have proper backups.

This is not something you should consider lightly, the “script” is still beta and there are still systems which experience issues after the upgrade…

Have a nice day!

Nick

13 to 14 might work if you run fwconsole ma installall. You have a backup you can restore to 13 if not

So upgrading to 14 from module admin via the upgrader module is not the same thing as running the upgrade script from bash? (On distro systems I mean)
What’s the difference?

Modules = PHP/HTML code and stuff. It’s what generates the configs and gives you your web GUI.

System = The actual system. Linux kernel, apache, mysql, PHP, Asterisk, etc are controlled via these updates.

Running the “Admin Update Module” is going to update the modules themselves to the 14 track, whichever ones that use that are on it. However, not running the system update means that you don’t have PHP 5.6 and it could possibly cause issues down the road.

Hi!

The upgrade “script” upgrades everything. It upgrades both the OS and every part of the FreePBX application, both visible (GUI) and invisible and is meant only for the FreePBX distro…

It upgrades the FreePBX distro to meet all the requirements (for example PHP as Tom said) for running FreePBX 14 now and in the future… In essence, it changes the old FreePBX distro we had to a Sangoma 7 based one with new packages, new repos, etc…

New packages are (currently) relatively rarely published (except for Asterisk packages updates) but I think we can expect that, eventually, no more packages will be published for the old FreePBX distro except maybe for security fixes…

Once this is done it also takes care of updating the FreePBX application side of things…

The upgrader module on the other hand only take care of the FreePBX application aspect of things. You are expected to take care of meeting all the requirements for running FreePBX 14 since you are not running it on the FreePBX distro…

The upgrader module is, AFAIK, no longer beta. This is why people are being offered to use it.

The upgrader module is most likely slightly more complex than the upgrade from one module version to the next but nothing compared to upgrading the OS…

Now when the upgrader module sees that you have a FreePBX distro it tells you that it should be not be updated using the upgrader module but instead using the update script and refers you to the upgrade script wiki page (which has a BIG warning telling you it is still beta).

Unless you wish to be a beta tester, resist the temptation. There are still issues left that need to be addressed.

It’s a loooooot more complex to update the whole distro without losing any (or at least any important) bit of configuration than it is to update the application side of FreePBX…

I ran the earliest script made available to outside testers and I did lose some important bits but nothing that could not be fixed without needing a reinstall.

(Actually I did not lose them but they were no longer part of the active configuration. I did however lose some minor tweaks to my FreePBX distro system Postfix configuration…)

There might also be compatibility issues related to upgrading. It is possible that some pieces of hardware might no longer be supported or need additional tweaks.

I found a big clue related to my slow boot problem yesterday which I hope will only requires some of those additional tweaks… My slow boot is related to a specific bit of hardware I am using on my FreePBX distro system.

(I will add the details in my FreePBX distro upgrade ticket later today…)

Have a nice day!

Nick

I think the better solution would be to have scripts to move configs from one system and version to another. As in I’ll spin up a brand new FreePBX 14 from distro and then run a script to transfer all data from my 13 to the 14, including changing IP address and taking care of registration.

Hi!

That is what is done when you are not running the FreePBX distro and I think the better solution depends on everyone`s need…

The reason for the upgrade “script” for the FreePBX distro is that the requirements OS-wise have changed…

I would have been pretty happy with backing up in FreePBX 13 and restoring in FreePBX 14.

This is something which will not be available right now but the devs have said they are planning to do for FreePBX 15 and later.

re:

An in-place upgrade, if it can be made to work every time, is even nicer though…

The best thing would have been to have both possibilities right now though… If the in-place upgrade didn’t work you could have upgraded to FreePBX 14 anyway just by restoring your FreePBX 13 backup…

I am sure if they could have done this they would have but things had to be prioritized differently…

Good luck and have a nice day,

Nick

You can install freepbx 13 on centos 7 and it will mostly work (I think dashboard breaks) restore the backup then upgrade to freepbx 14

1 Like

You then back it up, install a FreePBX 14 distro and restore that backup…

FreePBX 13 distro to FreePBX 14 distro without doing an in-place upgrade…

:wink:

That would, most likely, work…

Have a nice day!

Nick

Like a tire rotation

1 Like