Illegal instruction / T5720 hardware

Hello,
I have 2 thin clients (HP T5720 - AMD Geode NX 1500 CPU, running at 1GHz). A time back i installed disto 1.810.210.57.1 from usb on one of the t5720 without any problem. (Works great!)

This week i tried a recent FreePBX distro (i picked one of the list here: http://downloads.freepbxdistro.org/ISO/ and it does not matter which one)
And i get the following error, which has to do with hardware (i think ?)

/usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 145: 2861 Illegal instruction (core dumped) nice -n $PRIORITY ${ASTSBINDIR}/asterisk -f ${CLIARGS} ${ASTARGS} > /dev/${TTY} 2>&1 < /dev/${TTY}
Asterisk ended with exit status 132
Asterisk exited on signal 4.
Automatically restarting Asterisk.

What am i missing ?
Can i use a distro or should i compile from source ?
Why did it work on older distros ?

Any help appreciated!

Poekel

I have to admit, this question brings out the smart a** in me.

I wanted to simply type how (pick expletive) should I know?

I know we have vast amounts of spare time on our hands I will make sure we test CentOS on every single type of x86 compatible hardware that was ever created. We should have a release about every 1000 years or so.

Seriously this is the type of issue you really need to research with the downstream project (CentOS).

If I remember correctly the geode is recognized as only a 586 or less, were you to recompile all the “usual suspects” against the severe limitations of your chosen CPU, then you might succeed. as Scott suggested, you are using very marginal hardware with apparently equally marginal knowledge, maybe you should perhaps “bump up” one of these prerequisites and stop relying on a prepackaged iso distribution. . . .

Yes, it’s a blast to get Linux and Asterisk running on weird stuff. We built Asterisk for the Shiva Plug, very handy if you need connectivity at a wake (bada bump). If you don’t have Linux skills or the desire to be a hobbyist just go with a supported system.

I am wondering if they finally dropped support for PIII’s in the standard CentOS Kernel?

Thanx guys/girls? for the positive advice you all gave ! It helped me a lot …

I have a few of these machines running with the freepbx distro i mentioned at customers i service.
Pay attention/read carefully: These are ENDUSERS. (nothing fancy)
( People who have a company at home and merely consist of one person…)
The only problem i had in a year was a corrupted CF card with one of the machines.

Suddenly the install of the distro from usb does not work anymore on this machine, and i could not figure out why. ( I asked Mr.Google and did not get a straight answer )
The reason: I am just lazy , and do not want to spent time on compiling etc etc as there is a distro which helps me to install quickly.

BTW: I have 20 years of experience in HPUX, Solaris, Debian and work as a Oracle DBA, and yeah i am a hobbyist too :slight_smile:
I am looking for a CHEAP platform to build asterisk/freepbx systems for endusers.
Maybe you can share some smart a** ideas on a better platform on which the distros will work…

Greetings to you all !

You can’t beat for price RasberryPI hardware (nothing fancy though), this was designed for schoolkids, and is, conveniently for you, Debian based so it shouldn’t be too much of a challenge for someone with 20 years of such experience experience.

There is a project called RasPBX that talks the ENDUSER through the process. of getting the system up and running.

You should probably be able to churn them out for less than 60 bucks each.

If you need more balls than that any Atom based thin client will also works.

Hi,

I’ve got the same thin client which I want to use as a test bed only, did you eventually fix this issue? If so how?

The problem is the GEODE processor. I have had a similar issue with recent distributions. They appear to have dropped support for this processor in the linux kernel.