IAX Unknown - Has Been Asked Before, But

In STFing, this very topic was asked some time ago but no real resolution other than other ways to check or allowing time to pass.

I have two FreePBX systems, miles apart, both are version 15.0.16.67 using Asterisk 16.11.1. The IAX trunks work great from both ends in and out. Works well and as expected. In both IAX trunks, qualify is set to yes. (qualify=yes).

After upgrading the remote system from 14 to v15.0.16.67, I rebooted both systems for “good measure”. After testing and allowing 12 hours or so to pass, the remote system shows, under Reports - Asterisk Info, my IAX trunk is ONLINE. Great! My local system, after 48+ hours still shows UNKNOWN.

Minor issue to say the least but it just “bugs” me that it;

1. Takes hours to show Online when everything else shows up in seconds and…

2. My local FPBX still shows UNKNOWN after more than a couple days.

Everything works well, just a cosmetic piece of info that just doesn’t seem to work correctly. This is a known ‘thing’ but just seems like a bug.

So my question is, (after griping and complaining), is there any way, i.e., CLI command or other, to update this specific piece of information under Reports.

Thanks!

John

I don’t know that anyone here is going to have a specific “solution” for you, but it might be worth submitting an Issues Ticket (top of the forum page) asking the question and throwing on some screen shots. We’re all just users, so I don’t think we’re going to be able to give you a lot of traction on this.

I suspect the first answer is going to be something like “it works, so no biggie” or “IAX2 is no longer actively maintained”. On the other hand, it might be a systemic thing that actually needs looked at, or worse yet, a problem between the versions that is exposing what I expect to be a long-standing bug.

What is the replacement methodology to connect two systems for extension dialing?

PJ-SIP Trunks. If they are both yours and both in static IP addresses, you can set them up as IP Authenticated PJ-SIP trunks and mark them an “Interorganization” so that the CIDs will match the extensions. Other ways to secure the connection include DynDNS setups and VPN connections at the “network” level, which has some cool side-benefits. In fact, if you set up a network level VPN, you could (if desired) set up all of the extensions so they worked off the same server (or cross-domain, etc.).

After that, you just set up the inbound and outbound routes the same way you would with IAX2. There’s nothing preventing you from setting up PJ-SIP Trunks with your current IAX2 trunk still active to test the connectivity.

One could. And we have done. And when the ISP has issues that cause call-quality problems on the remote phones, they will eventually blame VPN encryption latency. We still do this for one-off or very small branch offices, but for larger remote workforces we stand up a local FreePBX install with its own PRI.

Thank you for the info about using PJSIP for interconnects!

Thanks Dave. I suppose I should change over the interconnect to sip/pjsip… just lazy I guess. I keep upgrading to new versions, use pjsip for my VoIP provider, one anyway, so I guess it’s about time!
But still! LOL!!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.