HOWTO: Record Internal Calls?

This seems like it should be simple, but I do not see a post in the search of the existing FreePBX posts except for this old one that didn’t really have an answer.1

There must be a way to force recording of internal calls (e.g. from x101 to x102). Has anyone else done this?

EDIT: To clarify, I’m asking is there a way to configure FreePBX/Asterisk to record internal calls (or all calls) by default?

I’m aware of how to force recording for a specific extension. But, extensions are created with the four Recording Options set to “Don’t Care” by default.

“Don’t Care” Honors whatever was set earlier in the call flow, and does not affect downstream settings.2

For internal calls, the default call flow setting appears to be not to record (“No”).

How/where can this earlier call flow setting be changed to “Yes” (or even “Force”)?

-Mark

It’s in the documentation:
Extensions Module - PJSIP Extension - PBX GUI - Sangoma Documentation (atlassian.net)

@comtech, thanks for the quick response.

It looks like my question was unclear in my original post. I wasn’t asking if there was a way to force recording for particular extensions. I meant to ask: Is there away to configure recording of internal calls by default?

We have well over 200 extensions (and growing rapidly). It’s impractical to click “Force” over 800 times (4 times for each extension), then Submit over 200 times (submitting involves a significant delay each time), and then navigating to the next extension of 200+ extensions.

Even presuming that the above repetitive actions were “reasonable,” it’s error prone and unsupportable moving forward.

To ensure there weren’t accidental gaps produced as extensions continue to be added and modified over time, there would be a requirement to manually review the Extension: xxx > Advanced > Recording Options section periodically for each of the 200+ extensions.

Is there really no way within the FreePBX UI or within the Asterisk config files to indicate that by default internal calls should be recorded?

Not sure there is a way in FreePBX to automate “enable call recordings” when opening a new extensions or to enable it to all of your 200 existings at once in the UI.

What you can do to though, is to use the “bulk handler” to export a CSV file of all extensions and configurations and change the internal recording column to the desire option you like. after that just upload the CSV to update the column

Hope this lead will help you

1 Like

Bulk Handler User Guide - PBX GUI - Sangoma Documentation (atlassian.net)

@dorbe, thanks!!! That’s not quite what I was hoping for. I’m going to keep looking for a little bit, but that is waaaaaay better than trying to set 200+ extensions through the Extension: xxx > Advanced > Recording Options UI. I was not looking forward to that. :grimacing:

This is a workable solution if I don’t find what I’m looking for.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.