How to trace an incoming call through ring group path

Hello,

I am having an issue where incoming calls “do not appear to be” following the correct “ring group path” for lack of a better term. I think it may be a ring time issue. Before I post the details of the groups, I thought I would find out if there is a means to “debug” or “trace” an incoming call through the “ring group path”

I have tried the obvious (testing with an outside line) several times and have only succeeded in getting everybody in the company thoroughly pissed off at me.

Thanks

P…

Hi,

When I get these issues, I use the asterisk debug log to look at what code is actually being run, and see where the call goes.

This is only any good if you are comfortable with understanding the asterisk dial plan.

Graham

Thanks Graham, but I am a total newbie to Asterisk, trying to learn on the fly. I read about dialing plans last night, They didn’t sound THAT complex, but maybe I am missing something.

I have a very basic system. 25 or so extensions, one incoming line/trunk.

From what I have gathered in my testing, it looks like something is overriding the 12 second time on ring group 502, and making it much shorter.

Is it too complex to walk me through the running the debug log?

Thanks

P…

it’s not that hard but generates a lot of information and you don’t want to do it while there are other things going on as they will intermix and then it becomes much harder to trace.

at the linux prompt type asterisk -r
type set verbose 5
then make the call and watch the screen.

to reduce the debugging info type set verbose 1

reason you’ll want to do that it is also places this info along with other stuff into the following file (/var/log/asterisk/full) so leaving the level higher will generate more info into the file and consume disk space…