How to set a "shortcut" number?

Hello all !

I would like to know if it is possible to set a “shortcut” number in FreePBX. I mean that the user might dial “123” and the system will transform this into “0123456789”.

I see one solution : create an extension (123) and set a follow-me (0123456789). Is there any more simple solution ?

Thanks for your feedbacks !

Regards,
Fabianus

FreePBX has a speed dials built in. Place your entries in Asterisk Phonebook and dial them by dialing *0 and the speeddial number.

Hello John !

Thanks a lot for your help - that’s exacly what I needed.

It would be great not having to dial *0 before - you thing that there is a solution for this ?

Regards,
Fabianus

You can change it in the feature codes. It is listed there.

You can create a custom extension with the appropriate dial string.

When you create the extension. In this caseexample, I’ve created an custom extension to dial the local Time/Temp number (6016385211) by dialing the last 4 digits of the number (5211).

In the Device Options section of the Create Custom Extension page, I’ve put “ZAP/g0/6016385211” in the dial box.

Now whenever anyone dials 5211, the call goes to the Time/Temp number.

I’ve done this with quite a numbers which still remain on our Centrex phone system so that users of the FreePBX system can continue to have 4 digit access to those numbers as they had before the FreePBX users migrated from Centrex.

Bill/W5WAF

First create a Misc Destination - in the dial text box, put the (longer) number that you would dial. Now you can access this number from many places in FreePBX - for example, you could make it an IVR destination. But more to the point for your purposes, you can make a Misc Application, and for the “Feature Code” just enter the “shortcut” number you want to dial (it does NOT have to start with a * character). Then make the destination the Misc Destination you just created. So you need to make both a Misc Destination and a Misc Application, but each takes only a few seconds to create and you can have as many such pairs as you need, and the best part is that there’s no confusing syntax to remember.

Of course, you can also do it by making a “Custom” extension, but then you have to remember the proper syntax for the dial string. Nothing confusing like that to remember when using Misc Destinations and Misc Applications.

Hello all !

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions !

I would prefer the solution of wiseoldowl (with Misc Destination / Application), but I run into a problem: I did set things out as you said, but the call is always forward as dialed (“123” instead of “0123456789”). I suppose that the Misc Application is not reached. Do you have any idea what could be wrong ?

Thanks a lot for any feedback !

Regards,
Fabianus

I put entries like these in extensions_custom.conf

exten => 622,1,Swift(Nab Home)
exten => 622,2,Dial(Local/5551234567@outbound-allroutes,120,r) ; Nab Home
exten => 622,3,Hangup

exten => 6222,1,Swift(Nab Cell)
exten => 6222,2,Dial(Local/5554561234@outbound-allroutes,120,r) ; Nab Cell
exten => 6222,3,Hangup

exten => 276,1,Swift(Asmat Home)
exten => 276,2,Dial(Local/5559876543@outbound-allroutes,120,r) ; Asmat Home
exten => 276,3,Hangup

exten => 2762,1,Swift(Asmat Cell)
exten => 2762,2,Dial(Local/55565463212@outbound-allroutes,120,r) ; Asmat Cell
exten => 2762,3,Hangup

The short-codes follow the abc def keys on the phone keybad, add 2 to it for Cell Phone.

I’m sure sometimes will conflict with reserved extensions etc, but I’ve built up my short code list over time, adding a number or 2 at a time, its quite easy to check that way.

Riz

Dear wiseoldowl ,

finally you solution worked out perfectly !

Thanks again for the sulution !

Regards,
Fabianus