How to recover FreePBX password

Hi everyone,

I am trying to recover my FreePBX login name and password that was created ages ago. My office has setup the system a long time ago and no one really thought to fiddle with the web interface until recently when something needs to be reconfigured.

Trouble is, no one remembers the user-id and password!

We have root access to the system as well as physical access, but most of us are Linux-illterate. So any guidance would be appreciated.

Ideally, the method should not reset the entire system, but just give us the user/id passwords. Reason is that we do not want to disrupt the existing system in place, as well as permissions granted to each user.

Thanks!

Would be grateful for some assistance.

Well answering this is not a simple and straight forward thing as we don’t know how your system is configured to know if it is secured via Apache or if it has been re-configured to use the user database (at which point it could be anything that was picked and setup).

If it was using apache the default user is maint. Which you could have found by reading a little of the documentation.

To change it’s password do (Again in the documentation):

htpasswd /usr/local/apache/passwd/wwwpasswd maint

This is of course assuming you are using a CentOS distribution.

This is a Linux system and there is NOT a way to get passwords. They are stored as encripted hash keys to stop this from happening to begin with. That’s why it’s considered a secure system.

Since you have root access you can reset them though.

Hello Fskrotzki,

Thank you for your email. I thank you for your patience as I’m not a full-time IT administrator and am actually helping out in this process in the company since there is no other person suitable. Hence my knowledge may not be up to scratch, especially considering that I’m Linux-illterate.

I am not able to tell if FreePBX is secured by Apache or “configured to use the user database” but I have navigated to /usr/local and there is no /apache directory within. Does this mean that my FreePBX is secured by that user database thing?

I have also tried using my root user-id and password to enter the Web Configuration Page but that failed too. So I’m not quite sure if it is indeed secured by the user database.

Finally, although there is no apache directory in /usr/local, there are a couple of apache directories scattered throughout the system, such as /usr/libexec and /etc/webmin to name a few Not sure if it helps.

Oh yes one last thing, I think it should be a CentOS setup because plugging in a monitor to the system shows me a CentOS login.

if you have webmin install on the standard port (10000) try your root / password

For freepbx access try maint / passw0rd (zero not O)

If it is set to use the database then webmin can be used to change the password if need be (you can do via the cmd line as well)

the file /etc/amportal.conf
look for this …

AUTHTYPE: authentication type to use for web admin

If type set to ‘database’, the primary AMP admin credentials will be the AMPDBUSER/AMPDBPASS above

valid: none, database

AUTHTYPE=database

if set to none look for this…

/etc/httpd/conf
find the http conf files and see if they have been edited to use a user / password for the web root

Thanks Bubba,

I’ve checked and found the following:

1. maint/passw0rd does not work

2. AUTHTYPE is set to database.

On a separate note, I noticed that there is no values for AMPDBUSER or AMPDBPASS referred to in the comment line just above that line “the primary AMP admin credentials will be the AMPDBUSER/AMPDBPASS above”

Now that we know it reads from a database, can I open that database to take a look?

The default login for freepbx on the database is (I think)

admin / password

“On a separate note, I noticed that there is no values for AMPDBUSER or AMPDBPASS referred to in the comment line just above that line “the primary AMP admin credentials will be the AMPDBUSER/AMPDBPASS above””

Well looking does no good as the password is hashed
You can just change it using webmin.
It has been a LONG time since I used webmin for this but it is not hard.

as for the conf file users those are for asterisk to use not you.
stock file below

AMPDBUSER: the user to connect to the database named ‘asterisk’

AMPDBUSER=asteriskuser

AMPDBENGINE: the type of database to use

AMPDBENGINE=mysql

AMPDBPASS: the password for AMPDBUSER

AMPDBPASS=amp109

AMPENGINE: the telephony backend engine to use

AMPENGINE=asterisk

AMPMGRUSER: the user to access the Asterisk manager interface

AMPMGRUSER=admin

AMPMGRPASS: the password for AMPMGRUSER