How to record Calls?

I have set within my extensions and within my settings for Voice Mail & recordings
to Always record incoming as well as outgoing calls. But nothing ever shows up in my Call monitor box.

Where do recordings go?

How is this done?

Do I have to specify or grant permissions anywhere else?

Any help ill be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Joe

bit more info:

ok there seems to be some recordings in the /var/spool/asterisk/monitor directory

but nothing is within the recording table for the asterisk database nor within voice mail and recordings.

Could this be the cause from a mis-configured Voice Mail setup?

ok I guess I am left in the dark to try and guess my way through this…

Well have set up Voice Mail and message. Then I called from one extension to the other said this was a test on one phone and hope this is recording on the other. Still no recordings from Voice Mail & Recordings. Then I called the extension again and left a message, this comes up in Voice Mail & Recordings, and was also forwarded to my company email address :slight_smile:

Noticed as well there are no reports of any calls within the reports tab. I don’t know if this will help out others for trying to help me out or not, but figured that I’d post it anyways.

Again ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, this is my first time setting up FreePBX, and could really use some guidance.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

I have never used it, but under…

Recording Options

Record Incoming - Record all inbound calls received at this extension. Options are On Demand, Always, or Never.

Record Outgoing - Record all outbound calls received at this extension. Options are On Demand, Always, or Never.

(I have not figured out how it is enabled if set to On Demand)

Call Recording

Extension Recording Override: This will override the recording settings of all extensions/users. If enabled, the system will ignore all Record Always settings of a user and will not turn on recording. This does not affect On Demand recording controlled by the dial options ‘w’ and ‘W’ above. It does not affect other recording settings in modules such as Queues and Conferences. If you don’t use recordings, setting this is beneficial to system performance as it removes the check that is otherwise done on every single call. Enabled or Disabled

Call recording format: Pick the format in which to save recorded calls: WAV, wav, ulaw, alaw, sln, gsm, or g729.

Recording Location: Override the default location where asterisk will store call recordings. Include the trailing /. Be sure to set proper permissions on the directory for the asterisk user.

To get to the system recordings, select the Setup tab and pick System Recordings.

There are two methods that you can capture your recording:
• By recording directly using your telephone
• Uploading pre-recorded materials

Direct Recording

It is strongly suggest you use an extension connected to the PBX to make your recordings. They’ll be quick and in the right format and you can worry about getting everything else right. When everything is all finished, you can come back and replace those temporary recordings with paid or improved versions.

First click on Add Recording to bring up the interface.

Enter the extension number of the mouthpiece that you will be using to record your message in the appropriate field. You will be making your recording using the telephone on this extension (or the microphone of the SoftPhones).

Click Go.

Follow the prompt on the screen and dial *77 on your phone and make your recording after the beep.

Verify the recording by dialling *99.

The above recorded files either recorded manually or uploaded using the system recording facility will be stored in the /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/custom directory.

Like I have already stated

“I have set within my extensions and within my settings for Voice Mail & recordings
to Always record incoming as well as outgoing calls.”

My extensions are connected to the PBX like you suggest.

I don’t have the over ride option set either.

No I don’t want the IVR, just want to record all calls.

did you figure out how to do the recording? Also, does that work with IVR?