How to delete call recordings?

Okay, so on my home/office system (13/13) I record everything. Every station and every trunk. I don’t want to get into the consent issue here because I use this to check performance. My question is if I’m poking around in call events in UCP and I see a call that I need to listen to, I can click and listen. What I cannot do is delete it. How is that done?

I use a windows program WINSCP which you can connect to your pbx with using your cli creds. We use it to offload all our call recordinds to another computer, you could use this to delete the recordings. They are stored in /var/spool/asterisk/monitor/

Mechanically, you can log in as root as use a “find” command to delete the files that meet whatever criteria you want.

Some places keep their recordings for compliance purposes and need to keep them for several years. For them, a process of conversion to mp3, the archiving works. This removes them from the “standard” storage location (typically) and “deletes” them from the GUI.

After a certain amount of time, even the moved/archived/converted files need to be deleted. The simplest way to do that is by simply logging into the server and deleting them.

1 Like

Tried WinSCP, and it logged right in. I already use it to place files on my RasPBXs. Seems to work just fine in this case. What I’m more concerned about is how to allow a client to do this? I don’t really want to give them the keys to the kingdom. I’m hoping there’s a solution in the menus of the FreePBX software that I can safely make accessible to my clients, as we all know how destructive a client can be. And yes, we can give them all the access and admonish them to be careful, etc., but when the effluent hits the fan, where will the ax of human blame fall?

I don’t think there is anything in the GUI unless I’m missing something. You could make a feature request or you could probably write a pretty simple web page using php that could delete the files and authenticate against UCP users yourself. There’s a lot of examples on google :slight_smile: It would be nice to have the option under UCP to delete recordings.

Not currently possible in the GUI. There is an open feature request here:
http://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-13949

With the guy that didn’t keep a log of who deleted the files and the guy that didn’t keep a compressed tar file of the files someplace safe. There’s only two industries in the world where customers are called “users”. There’s a reason.

If you have the call recording reports module you can delete recorded calls there. It isn’t in the UCP but the gui of freepbx though

use the call recording reports module and set up a user id that gives the user limited access to the pbx

Seems like the most logical thin to do.

UCP deletion and administrative retention control for the system would be great.