How much hardware is needed for 15 phones? - SOLVED

Hello, I’m trying to help a friend of mine out who a old pbx system that failed on him not a freepbx system but from somewhere else. I’m trying to get him some information on how much CPU, Memory, harddrive would it take to run upto 20 phones without any problems.

From what I’m reading online it is all over the place. Can someone please help me to figure this out? He is not trying to go overboard with a very loud 1u or 2u server. So I’m wondering If a 4 core 4 thread server with 16GB of memory and two 1TB hard drives in reduntant array would be enough for the phones.

These phone can be used on freepbx. They are the samgoma s305 and from what I read they can be used on the freepbx. I never used Samgoma phones before and they looks like great phones.

Joseph

Hi @josephchrz
For 15-20 Phone system i think should be enough 4Core CPU and 16GB Ram Memory system.
If you are going to use Sangoma S Phones benefit is you will have free Phone support and Free EndPoint Manager (EPM) license only for Sangoma S Phones.
With EPM you will deploy (upgrade firmware) and easy control your phones. ( good benefit )

Shahin

The phones are a few years old. I think there warranty is expired.

20 phones doesnt need this. The amount of phones isnt the key factor here. How much usage will there be? I run a few thousand on 4CPU/8GB RAM and it barely breaks 15% usage.

Warranty and Supports is different meaning.
Maybe you haven’t have warranty but you can get Full Support ( Firmware updates ) from Sangoma.

Yes you can… Agreed.

Why not build a complete new cloud based system with for example vult and scale up when needed? I’m running 4 phones with the bare minimum for a client and the server has no load.

Thank you.

Oh I see thank you.

Yes could do that. I been acually thinging of doing that. However We get internet problems from time to time. And I know from having the pbx locally when the internet goes out we have phones still. Doing the same thing with this insure that can still have the phone working.

No Internet means no phone, it doesn’t matter where the server is hosted. One pro of a cloud based server: in case of an internet outage, the caller can be sent to voicemail so the call isn’t lost completely.

Again it largely depends on usage, recordings, etc. but you could look at something as small as
Introducing Incredible PBX 2022 for the Raspberry Pi – Nerd Vittles

One common critique is that the SD card is not as reliable (never had a problem over a year in use), but on the new PIs you can boot from a SSD to eliminate this potential concern.

No voice recordings at all only voicemail if needed that is all.

My friends freepbx works when his internet is off and it is locally on his network. all his phone lines are analog. My phone lines are analog as well.

Then a Pi4, or a cheap Intel desktop with 4GB ram would likely be enough and one of the cheaper options. Another consideration, Sangoma does not support ARM, so if you went that way you would need to use another distro, like the one I linked above.

You could go further, as yet Sangoma’s FreePBX distro is restricted to only function on Sangoma’s version of red-hat on AMD64 hardware (which is obviously moribund and can’t be supported further :slight_smile: )

a cheap intel 64 bit processor with 2G of memory or a <= $6 a month cloud thingy is all you need for that load

2 Likes

Aha, no experience there, I prefer everything digital. If the Internet isn’t stable, I would first look for a solution there or complain with the provider.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.