How can i "Provide SIP Trucking"

hi all,
I have the latest FreePBX Distro setup and configured with all my origination and termination sip trucks, all working great (Server-Main).
i also have the latest a2billing installed on same server, each extension created in freepbx is linked to the respective a2billing account.

everything is working perfectly great.

now i want to setup another FreePBX Distro (latest also) on another box (Server1), but I don’t want to configure all my inbound/outbound trucks and the whole setup on this box, instead:

i would like to create a trunk(s) so i can have “Server1” go thru “Server-Main” to receive inbound external calls, or make outbound external calls.

i did a search on the net, and in this forum, i couldn’t really find much help, except the only thing i found was how to link 2 freepbx boxes together so they can talk to each other, which isn’t what I’m trying to accomplish.

i don’t want the extensions on Server-Main to be able to call Server1 and vice versa.

thanks, and keep up the great work guys, it’s one of the best open source piece of software on the net “FreePBX”. :wink:

It’s trunking not trucking.

Being a phone company involves more than just having two PBX’s

You have just scratched the surface of what you want to do. Experience in the phone business is also useful.

thanks for the quick reply, and good point, i didn’t notice the misspelled word :slight_smile:

i’m actually not trying to be a phone company, it’s that we (family) have multiple businesses, all seperate and have nothing to do with each other, so what my plan was, to host the Server-Main in a reliable DC with high quality hardware, and have an inhouse freepbx box in each office.

i can easily do each box with the same setup as the Server-Main, but that will involve too much work, and that would have to make me get quality boxes for each office, and having to maintain too many installations :frowning:

but if i do it the way i was thinking, that way if any of the small boxes fail, it’s not that big deal, i can replace it very quickly, and they didn’t lose any of their CDRs or any of the settings, except the extensions, queues and ivr pretty much.

and yes i totally agree, experience in the phone business is useful, but i don’t have any knowledge beyond the point i reached :frowning:

thx

Think about this, if you have sufficient bandwidth for the trunking then you have enough to support remote phones.

I would just put one server in data center and VPN to each location.

Why do you need per extension billing if this is a family business?

billing is only for tax purposes, so each business would know how much money they consumed that month.
also for more authentication, so each ext has to link to an a2billing account before it can place any outbound calling.

i thought of having everyone vpn to the server, but the only thing is that if they need to create/remove extensions, queues, ivr or any other options, i don’t want to give each one of them access to the Server-Main system, so they don’t break something, so it’s broken for everyone. and the other reason, is that i don’t want them to dial each other’s extensions outside their respective office.

For accounting I could see by cost center but not individual extensions.

I was not suggesting individual VPN’s just one VPN per location in the router at each office.

FreePBX administrators module allows you to restrict user access.

You have some unique requirements. They all seem to point to you are reselling the service. Sorry so distrustful, we have just been down this path before.

i don’t want to monitor individual extension, each of our companies does taxes, and they would need to charge whatever expenses they do, i’m not trying to monitor individual extension, but individual companies.
it’s just like a multi-tenant pbx, but not worth investing into a multi-tenant system, as i looked around for a reliable multi-tenant system and they are all expensive and have way too many extensions as their smallest package, a limit which i will never reach. i already tried bluebox and fusionpbx and didn’t like both their interfaces at all, but i love freepbx interface and usability, and stability.

with the FreePBX administrators module, can i restrict specific extensions from dialing each other? as that might solve my whole problem, and i may be able to get everyone to use that single Server-Main, and no on premise boxes, cheaper for me :slight_smile:

i don’t really understand your last comment, but it seems that you are trying to say that we’re a reseller? honestly, no, but i would not mind learning how to offer such a service in the future. first i would need to learn my basics before trying to offer such a service to customers. 2ndly, i would not be offering service to customers with a single point of failure (Server-Main), at least not without having multiple redundancy/load-balancing in different geo-locations, and with setting up DNS to auto route to nearest server respectively.
i’m a beginner when it comes to voip, but not a beginner when it comes to server administration and networking :wink:

No we have been down the road and helped people setup system they claimed were for there own use then turned out they patched together a system for resale in a colo and FreePBX ends up with the bad name. There is a lot of sensitivity to this in the forums.

WRT extensions calling each other, take a look at the “class of service” module in our app store. Does exactly what you want.

Scott Class of Service is not released and it wont restrict ext to ext dialing. Just everything else

OK sorry about that. You will have to whip out some custom context to do what you want but it would be simple.