High CPU Usage for an idle box

During the Fwconsole reload there are very little if any call quality issues and it seems to reload quickly, well my idea of quick might be slow to you. After Fwconsole reload is completed then that is when we get our call quality issues. Load will start rising and keep rising for a few minutes during which call quality gets really bad, in the reload video. Once it stops rising the call quality issues stop and everything is normal.

Its pretty strange and has us baffled. This never happened with Freepbx 13 and we cannot revert. It seems like something changed with Freepbx 14 because our asterisk version was and still is 13.

Bug report?

I think that cries for a bug report or even a commercial support ticket if needed.

Was it you that also saw painful GUI slowness with a large number of extensions?
I think Rob said that that would be much improved with PHP7 in FreePBX 16 (or later?)

Guys after the reolosd finishes from.the GUI in the background all the hints are resubsribing and rebuilding. With 1900 extensions without lots of CPU power you will see problems. Even with beefy CPU you can see problems. It’s why reloads have to be done after hours.

3 Likes

No. It doesn’t. If you can’t figure out the issue in this thread what makes you think opening a bug report would help. We would immediately close that as “Cannot reproduce”.

Commercial support is different. Don’t open a bug just because you have an issue you can’t figure out. Bug reports are for reproducible issues.

Not really. Furthermore nothing in this thread has conclusively stated it’s php causing the issues. What Tony lewis said is accurate.

I’ve been quietly watching this thread. I only have a couple of quickies:

• 1900 extensions is a lot of extensions for a single instance of anything. I have the magic number “800” in my head as the most that will work reliably. It could be from discussions here, or I might have dreamed it, but almost 2000 extensions on a single instance is a LOT.
  • We’ve heard lots of reports in the past with lots smaller systems that hint processing takes a considerable amount of CPU horsepower. Even if all that’s happening is all of the 1900 extensions setting up their hints, that’s still something like 5500 hints to process.
3 Likes

Not the reload but the GUI slowness that others were experiencing with a large number of extensions is what I read somewhere will be much improved with PHP 7, or did I dream that?

This would not be improved in PHP 7. It would be improved in PHP 5.6 which is what we are already using.

Ok.
Just recalled where I read this and that was that Freepbx 16 “might” be using php7, were speed improvements are significant:

No one on the development team has run FreePBX on php 7 so that is some high speculation. What Rob is talking about is specifically related to PHP 5.6 vs PHP 7. Not in regards to FreePBX on 5.6 or 7 and it wouldn’t fix the original problem in this thread.

Are you trying to make a specific point in this thread? Or what are you trying to accomplish?

Just trying to find out if Freepbx is a suitable system to run 1000 extensions on or not and if not, if it will be in the future. We have a site that big and are wondering, that’s all.

Well glad the thread got heated :slight_smile:

In any event the CPU usage is still pretty high, I’ve learned to live with it. Hopefully the dev team can address things like this in a future release and keep focus on stability. It’s just coming down the chain… Clients complain to me, I complain to this thread, this thread says pay for support.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help Andrew, I’ve come to live with it

If you truly have an issue with a machine you bought from Sangoma (Sangoma hardware) then you have a warranty under it and get support for free*… you should utilize it.

As for this thread it was brought to my attention that you have a lot of users on a VM with 2 CPUs. You’re going to run into bottlenecks with two CPUs.

Is there a way to manually rebuild/resubscribe all of the hints without reloading everything else? That way we can know that is the issue or not.

What are you asking specifically? Asterisk does this. Not freepbx.

What do I have to type in to get asterisk to rebuild the hints like it does after a reload.

core reload

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.