HELP! CPU at 100% and Disk filling up! gzip

Since installing some FreePBX updates from the Admin Module, my CPU has been running at 100% and the disk is filling at an alarming rate. It was at 67% full last night and 95% at lunch time today (now). So, the clock is ticking fo me to get this fixed before the whole system crashes.

The application taking all the resources (when I type ‘top’ on the command line) is something called ‘gzip’

Any advice welcome!

Patrick

gzip is a file archiving utility. Are by any chance running a backup of the system? The backup module uses gzip to compress the backups into a smaller size.

Huge thanks for your swift reply.

I’m not aware that I’m running a backup. Perhaps I am running a continual backup… that would explain why the CPU is 100% and the disk is filling up.

Now… where are these backups stored… need to delete some asap!

/var/lib/asterisk/backups

Also check the backup module to see what is scheduled to run.

Okay, I’ve had a bit of a clear out in /var/lib/asterisk/backups but it’s only saved me 2%. There was nothing new in there so I still dont know where gzip is dumping these files and filling up the drive.

How do I stop zgip? And how do I find out which directory it is filling up?

Thanks again.

P.

Yes, there was a rogue back up process which seemed to be running constantly. It was dropping the back ups in /var/spool/asterisk/backup

I have now stopped the back up and am busy deleting all the files!

Thanks Alan, for pointing me in the right direction.

You are welcome. Happy to be able to help.