Help: Calls going directly to VM

I have all incoming calls going to a simple ring group of roughly 10 exts. I have had 2 times in the past couple weeks where the incoming call does not ring, instead it goes directly to voicemail. I look at the call event logging module and it shows busy. What is busy, the trunk? I am their local telephone service provider and they have 10 call paths and hit no where near that. So the trunk should not be busy.

I can pull open logs and look back but I am unsure of where to look and/or search. Any input or advice would help, thanks!

Clarifyā€¦

ā€œall incoming callsā€ - from where? PSTN provider?

ā€œgroup of roughly 10 extsā€ - what kind? SIP? forwards back out to the PSTN?

ā€œincoming call does not ringā€ - from whose perspective? The extensions donā€™t ring, or the caller doesnā€™t hear a ring?

Logs - just look for the incoming call by either its caller ID or its DID and the right time period and grab those logs to analyze.

Yes, all incoming calls from PSTN.

SIP extensions

No rings heard/sent to the ring group as well as the caller. It goes directly to VM, as it would for their night ring using call flow control.

I attached logs from the GUI but are there certain logs I can see in the server or asterisk.

Yes, you should find more useful information in the file /var/log/asterisk/full

I was able to track the call in the /var/log/asterisk/full. Below is what is shows for all extensions in the ring group. The customer did say that ext 312 was the only one on an active call. I did have CW disabled but have since enabled CW for ext 310 and 312 because they are the 2 main phones. I do have a txt file with the complete log of this call.

EXTENSION_STATE: 8 (RINGING)
dialparties.agi: Extension 312 has ExtensionState: 8
dialparties.agi: Checking CW and CFB status for extension 312
dialparties.agi: Extension 312 is not available to be called
dialparties.agi: Extension 312 has call waiting disabled
EXTENSION_STATE: 8 (RINGING)
dialparties.agi: Extension 310 has ExtensionState: 8
dialparties.agi: Checking CW and CFB status for extension 310
dialparties.agi: Extension 310 is not available to be called
dialparties.agi: Extension 310 has call waiting disabled

Here is an example of a good call for the extensions

EXTENSION_STATE: 0 (NOT_INUSE)
dialparties.agi: Extension 312 has ExtensionState: 0
dialparties.agi: Checking CW and CFB status for extension 312
dialparties.agi: dbset CALLTRACE/312 to 2602732138
EXTENSION_STATE: 0 (NOT_INUSE)
dialparties.agi: Extension 310 has ExtensionState: 0
dialparties.agi: Checking CW and CFB status for extension 310
dialparties.agi: dbset CALLTRACE/310 to 2602732138

Everything in the description leads me to believe that the system is operating, more or less, correctly. When the phone is in use, it canā€™t be assigned to two calls at the same time, and since your ring-group is ringing all of the phones, none of they are available. If thatā€™s the case, the fail-over destination would be used, which is (I assume) Voicemail.

It sounds to me like you need change from a simple ring-group to a simple queue. That way, the calls will ā€˜stackā€™ behind the devices being in-use and will process when one or more of them becomes available.

I would agree with this, normally. But there are a total of 11 extensions is the ā€˜ringallā€™ ring goup and the customer has confirmed not all 11 extensions were in use. The only ext in use at the time was 312 of all the ring group exts.

If all 11 were ringing, they were all in use. They are allocated to the call that the ring group is processing.

I agree with you. But this does not explain why, in the example of the log above, when a good call comes in the available exts show EXTENSION_STATE: 0 (NOT_INUSE) and when the call goes directly to VM they all show EXTENSION_STATE: 8 (RINGING). THis is the case for all extensions when a bad call comes in. It says ringing but not all exts are in use. When a good call comes in is should say the sameā€¦ but it says not in use. I understand what you are saying but the phones do not ring nor does the caller hear any ringing, simply goes straight to VM.

Remember, Asterisk is a Back to Back User Agent, so an ā€œincoming callā€ doesnā€™t go to a device - it goes to Asterisk. Asterisk then establishes a series of new calls (by RINGING the extensions) to each of the extensions. They are allocated to that call. If a new call comes it, it gets answered by Asterisk, but when it wants to ring the phones, they arenā€™t in ā€œNOT_INUSEā€ status. Any status except ā€œNOT_INUSEā€ is BUSY. Asterisk then sends to call to Voicemail, since all of the extensions were NOT NOT_INUSE.

1 Like

Thank you, cynjut. I did a little more research to better comprehend what you you stated and now understand exactly what you were saying. I thought about creating a 2nd ring group and diving the exts up (2 exts mainly answer out of the 11) but opted for the queue.

Thank you both for the advice!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.