Hardware Prerequisites for FreePBX Installation

In addition, if you could advice me on where I should be placing the freepbx server (internal lan or public network). Thanks.

I would defer this to people with more experience.

I have mine in the cloud, so I have external IP. I would expect that a public IP will be needed to make calls from outside the LAN; for example, if you have an extension on cellphone and you would line that extension to make calls from outside the LAN OR if you have other remote locations and need to connect to the FreePBX server. If so, you need to secure the FreePBX server by limiting access to trusted IPs, setting firewall and fail2ban.

If all your phones are on the same network then LAN would be fine. I am interested to hear from others practice.

Hi. Well. In our legacy system people are allowed to make a inward call only after they connect to the VPN server. That is unless the caller connects to VPN they cannot access freepbx.

Coming to trunk/sip I ll let you know if we have the existing server (tho administered by other group of persons).

This may not be needed, as you would like anyone to be able to make inbound calls by dialing the FreePBX phone number(s). Unless you are using the FreePBX for inhouse calling only.

Usually, income calls will be transmitted by the SIP provider who will give you a DID (phone number) for opele to call your FreePBX server.

Oh. I may have overlooked my details. Well ! For instance extension to extension (unless outside of the network/lan), people can make calls without VPN.

Coming to the other point (unless freepbx is for in-house only), I may have to look at your advises. M sure my other group of folks have better understanding on how calls are routed esp on trunk and sip.

Hi Moussa.

The echo test does work. It says “this is echo test. And anything you say will be repeated … testing the connectivity to your system”.

Regards

Great! you have a working system. Now, if you move your legacy Trunk (or set a new one) you should be able to make and receive calls from outside the PBX. Few tips:

nano /etc/httpd/conf.d/redirect-443.conf

<VirtualHost _default_:80>
ServerName mydomainname:443
ServerAlias mydomainname.com
ServerSignature Off
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^ https://%{SERVER_NAME}%{REQUEST_URI} [END,NE,R=permanent]
ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/redirect.error.log
LogLevel warn
</VirtualHost>

• Make sure Allow Anonymous Inbound SIP Calls and Allow SIP Guests (set to no) (Asterisk SIP Settings >> Security Settings).
  • If you are not planning to make international calls >> create restricted route see Sangoma Documentation
  • If you can, use PJSIP for your extensions. Chan_SIP will likely loss support in the future.
  • Do backups. They will be valuable when needed.

@tdhendup will you be having extension from outside your LAN?

Hi Moussa. Thanks for the help. I will surely do these tomm and let u know towards the evening.

Well coming to lan extension, sure we will have but like what we have just now, the whole network is plan to work through a single vlan.

However, I wanted to ask you about the following.
We have a contact center ( ivr, call center, help desk ) where agents receive calls from the customers, apart from the normal pbx extensions. Can we freepbx extended to make use as a contact center platform?

Hi @tdhendup and welcome to the forum. The wiki documentation is a great place to start to get your questions answered. Here is an index that covers just about everything you need to get started: https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Configuring+Your+PBX

Hi billsimon.
Thank you for the reply. Well as suggested and directed by Moussa I m midway. But it’s really difficult being a newbie despite going through the wiki. Apology for this.

Yes, in addition to the extension to extension calling, many use FreePBX for contact center. Once you have build a Trunk people/customers from outside your center can call in. FreePBX has many features that can be useful for contact center: IVR, Follow me, Ring Groups, integrated Calendar, …etc.

Here is another tip, in this forum go to your profile >> Preferences >> Emails and subscribe to email notification. This will give you some ideas on the different features of FreePBX. If you have question(s) this is the right place to ask your question (try to provide some details / background so people can help better)

Thank you moussa. You really helped me in setting this up. I will do as you advise.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.