GPON Gateways (ONU)

(David Johnson) #1

I am an ISP and we normally install our network with copper based Cisco switches and use Grandstream gateways for analog phones. I am considering switching to GPON for our next build out. Does anyone know of any GPON ONU’s that are supported in EPM? I mean I have been able to get some to work by going through every device one at a time until it registers but I would rather use a device thats actually listed in EPM. I have spoken to one of my major copper equipment companies Cambium and talked them into working with Sangoma to get their products added to EPM. Its been many months since then so I am hopeful they will have something soon, but I am looking for the same thing on the GPON side.

(Tom Ray) #2

I don’t see that as something that would be viable for the Endpoint Manager. You’re talking about the device that brings the fiber into the location. Having a built in VoIP module is fine for registering an ATA device to an external SIP system but that’s not what FreePBX is designed for. It’s a PBX for businesses and having something like the ONU registering to a company PBX isn’t something really needed. If a company needs an ATA device to connect to their PBX they’ll use a real standalone ATA device.

It sounds like you’re using FreePBX out of scope of what it is really meant for and would like out of scope devices to be added to the EPM.