Give each extension dedicated outbound number

Hey guys,
What I am trying to do is (seemingly) simple. I have 4 extensions on my PBX, and I have 5 phone numbers, one for each extension and one for an IVR. I have the inbound of each of the four numbers set to go directly to the extensions, but when they call outbound it always uses the highest outbound route on the list. How do I manually set the route to use for each extension?

EDIT: How to do this without them needing to dial a prefix.

Thanks,
Scotty

Try using the Caller ID field on the outbound route. It’s a selector specifically for this.

Failing that, you could try NOT forcing the Caller ID on the routes and trunks and set the Caller ID fields in the extensions.

I’m sorry, but I am, once again, completely confused. What am I supposed to put in the Caller ID field of the outbound route? I have 5 outbound routes, and no matter what I do all of my extensions use the first one in the list. I apologize for my complete lack on knowledge, I don’t usually get this in-depth with the PBX.

Thanks,
Scotty

Cynjut is talking about this field:

But what is the reason you want to use a unique outbound route for each extension?

I really don’t know any terminology, so I will just write out in plain text what I am trying to achieve and maybe somebody will understand, since I might be saying the wrong stuff. I want each extension to be tied to a phone number for inbound and outbound. Let’s say extensions 100-104

Inbound on 555-1000 should go to ext. 100 - and when ext. 100 makes a call it should go through 555-1000
Inbound on 555-2000 should go to ext. 101 - and when ext. 101 makes a call it should go through 555-2000
and so on.

I do not know what this is called, I just assumed I had to use the outbound routes to do this. Does this make it any clearer for anybody?

Sorry for the pain,
Scotty

I assume 555-1000 is a phone number?
Do you have those numbers 555-1000 and 555-2000, etc. from one vendor and are those analog lines or digital like SIP or PRI?

I am using Google Voice for the 5 numbers, and 555-XXXX numbers are just an example.

Then do it the way described above in the thread, or use the commercial COS module.

With regular SIP service providers you could set the outgoing CallerID in the settings for an extension.

I am just confused on what I am putting in the field? The extension?
How does it know which trunk/route to use for the extension if I don’t specify it somewhere. I am so lost.

The extension or range of extensions that can use this route. If the CallerID of the extension that is making a call doesn’t match what’s in there, it can’t take that route but looks at the next.

You specify the trunk here:

Read the wiki for more info:
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Outbound+Routes+Module+User+Guide

Yeah, I give up. I am doing everything exactly as you guys have explained and it does not work. It always calls with the highest outbound trunk on the list, no matter what I have set. Thanks anyway!

Let me explain.

To be able to place or receive external calls, you gotta have a Trunk, Inbound Route & Outbound Route.
In your Inbound Route you can set the destination for each DID (if you have more then one) or set a any/any (No DID specified)
In your Outbound Route you can set the Dial Plan, and select which Trunk this route should use. You can create multiple routes, and based on the Dialplan your call will be routed through that Route.
One more thing, in the Outbound Route you can set your CID which you want to Display.

Now, with Google Voice, you can’t manipulate the CID.
Every time you add a Google Voice, it automatically adds a outbound Route that will use this new GV Trunk.
Then, you have to set in inbound route for each GV number.

So let’s say you have the Following:

Ext 101 = 212-123-1000
Ext 102 = 212-123-2000

If you want that 101 Should only use his 212-123-1000 number, then set in that outbound route dial plan the following

Do the same for each outbound route…

Hope that works.
Much luck.

1 Like