Getting Extension exceeded error

Dears,

I have added almost 80 outbound routes and they are working fine. When I add more outbound route and after testing this route I am getting the extension exceeds error and couldn’t find any way to resolve this issue. Can any one tell me that it is occurring due to the number of core processors used or due to any other issue? Or is it Hardware issue of any software?

Any support regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Bashir Ahmad.

I doubt that this is a hardware issue.

What goes wrong (error announcement heard by caller, error message in GUI when setting route, error message in Asterisk log on attempted call)?

What is the exact error message that you see or hear?

Please explain how you are using these routes. It may be cleaner to do this with a few lines of custom dialplan.

1 Like

Dear thanks for the reply.

For confirmation I have again counted my Outbound Routes which I created already are 73 and they are working fine. When I add one more outbound route, the 74th one and try to call from using this newly created outbound route in Asterisk log getting the below mentioned errors:
[2018-06-20 20:32:39] WARNING[3616][C-000199e7]: pbx.c:3137 pbx_find_extension: Maximum PBX stack exceeded
[2018-06-20 20:32:39] WARNING[3616][C-000199e7]: pbx.c:3137 pbx_find_extension: Maximum PBX stack exceeded
[2018-06-20 20:32:39] NOTICE[3616][C-000199e7]: chan_sip.c:25627 handle_request_invite: Call from ‘x.x.x.x’ (x.x.x.x) to extension ‘x.x.x.x.x’ rejected because extension not found in context ‘from-internal’.

If appears that you’re not the first one with this issue; see Maximum PBX stack exceeded . And it also appears that this is an ancient unfixed Asterisk bug (each include should not use additional stack, but it does): https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-9788 .

You can fix this by increasing the stack as noted in the first thread linked above. However, please explain why you have and how you use all these routes; there may be an alternate approach that avoids the issue.

Dear Strwart,

Actually I have different VoIPs trunks with different IPs. For that I have created different Outbound Routes which are registered to different trunks and have added different numbers to Route CID . When I add any more Outbound Routes from more then 73, I am getting Maximum PBX stack exceeded issue. If you have any alternate solution to this Kindly help.

That, it seems to me, is an Asterisk issue. I remember talking about something like this about a year ago. He was able to simplify his call routing scheme to get around the memory limitations on Asterisk. You may find yourself in a similar situation.

It might also be time to look into the possibility of using something like Kamillio (IIRC - sic) to ‘front’ your system and simplify your inbound and outbound trunk configuration in the PBX.

How many routes do you need? If it’s e.g. 90, then double the stack size and (assuming this fixes your problem) call it a day. If it’s 500, you obviously need a different approach.

How many trunks do you have? Why so many (least-cost routing, billing separate departments or organizations, DIDs from many countries, etc.)?

How are the different caller IDs used? If they identify individuals or departments in your organization, associating them with extensions is likely a better approach. If you are trying to show a local presence to your customers (e.g. you represent a group of locksmiths, plumbers, etc.), you should have a database that selects the appropriate DID based on called number. If the numbers identify different promotions, etc., your dialer software should supply the proper CID per call.

Dear Stewart,

I need upto 120 routes. If it is possible Kindly share all the Steps which will be needed for that.
I have almost 60+ trunks. That much trunks are due to different IPs which are offered by different VoIP providers.

If you double the stack size as suggested by @dicko in Maximum PBX stack exceeded - #11 by dicko you can have 120 routes. However, I get the feeling that the system still won’t meet your needs.

60 trunks??? What’s your business? If you are reselling termination (with enough volume to make a living at it), FreePBX is woefully underpowered for the task. Take a look at Kamailio SIP Server as suggested by @cynjut .

If you have e.g. an import-export business dealing with many countries, IMO you don’t need more than 5 to 10 carriers and should probably use an aggregator where a tech prefix can select the carrier. For example, see http://www.anveodirect.com/ or http://www.telecomsxchange.com/ .

If you have a real need for many carriers but traffic is low, e.g. you’re in the testing or monitoring business, describe the application and we can probably suggest a better method of route selection.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.