General question regarding CDR data

Hi,
I have a general question regarding CDR data, would the old recorded data eventually erased over time or all CDR data is kept in MySQL database unless manually deleted/modified?
I would like to keep CDR data for certain period of time, (say 2 years) and wondering what would be the recommended way of backing up the data.
Many thanks in advance,

you can do ā€œeventually erased over timeā€ manually;

And for backing up;

you can use ā€œbackup and restoreā€ module,

1 Like

Hi Nbthost,
Thanks for the reply. Quick confirmation, if I donā€™t touch manually, CDR data will remain and keep accumulating overtime? (Which is preferable, I am thinking about taking periodical backup but if the data is keep accumulating, I can keep several of latest backup archive and throw away old onesā€¦)

Yes, if you do not touch, the data keep accumulating.
And yes, you can take several backups with ā€œbackup and restoreā€ module and download them with ftp using filezilla. You can find backups in /var/spool/asterisk/backup

1 Like

Super! As long as the CDR data retains until manual intervention, I can keep several latest backups and delete the rest. Thanks for the clarification, have a nice weekend!

Hi, quick question, did you try enabling automatic backup feature? I am experimenting to backup periodically, (such as hourly, daily, weekly) somehow I donā€™t see archive in /var/spool/asterisk/backup folder. If I press ā€œand Runā€ button manually, it creates backup, but just by pressing ā€œsaveā€ button wonā€™t schedule automatic backupā€¦

I use 2 backup templates;
one is daily the other is weekly

one of my backup schedule;

you will only press ā€œsaveā€ button. if you press ā€œrunā€ button it will take manual backup
it takes automatically every night;
and when takes 7 backups, deletes the oldest one.

1 Like

FYI, my issue was not having /home/asterisk directory. Thanks for the information!