FreePBX13 yum upgrade Unicode issues

Hey guys. Quick one here. Been running my FreePBX server for a while now without too many dramas, but I figured it’s time for kernel and security updates. I’m currently running FreePBX 13.0.192.8.

However, when I logged in via SSH and ran “yum upgrade”, I receive the following error message after pressing “y” to upgrade, and the upgrade stops after that:

> Running Transaction
> /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/history.py:762: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both ar                                   guments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal
>   if checksum == sql_checksum:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in <module>
>     yummain.user_main(sys.argv[1:], exit_code=True)
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 294, in user_main
>     errcode = main(args)
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 229, in main
>     return_code = base.doTransaction()
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 586, in doTransaction
>     resultobject = self.runTransaction(cb=cb)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 1532, in runTransaction
>     self.skipped_packages, rpmdb_problems, cmdline)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/history.py", line 942, in beg
>     pid   = self.pkg2pid(txmbr.po)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/history.py", line 799, in pkg2pid
>     return self._ipkg2pid(po, create)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/history.py", line 793, in _ipkg2pid
>     return self._pkgtup2pid(po.pkgtup, csum, create)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/history.py", line 776, in _pkgtup2pid
>     checksum))
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/sqlutils.py", line 168, in executeSQLQmark
>     return cursor.execute(query, params)
> sqlite3.ProgrammingError: You must not use 8-bit bytestrings unless you use a text_factory that can interpret 8-bit bytestrings (like text_factory = str). It is highly recommended that you instead just switch your application to Unicode strings.

Full pastebin is available here: https://pastebin.com/QK45XdUQ

Any suggestions on how get past this would be appreciated :slight_smile:

I was told never to do that for the distro.

As long as you don’t make any changes to the yum repos, it is always safe to run yum update on the FreePBX Distro. The recommended way to do updates is to run the update scripts, which first check and ensure no changes to the repos have been made.
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/Updating+FreePBX+Official+Distro