FreePBX voicemail to local Instant Messaging

Hello,

I’m using FreePBX 14 with asterisk 15.7.2 and FreePBX 15 with asterisk 16.3 and running Instant Messaging. I want to change “Voicemail Pager Email Address” to send an “instant message” instead of email to same extension number for each voicemail and using all pager setting such as “body, subject, date and etc…” from FreePBX “Voicemail admin”.

Note: I’m looking for internal Instant SIP Messaging (chat) to the same extension that received the voicemail.

I would appreciate if you can help me.

Thanks,

You’re going to need to do this outside of the voicemail application. It is going to want to send an email when it sees that setting exist with data. So you just can’t magically add another uri in there and expect it to send it XMPP or whatever protocol.

You’ll need to use the external notify or other options to execute a script to send the voicemail notice to SMS or XMPP or anything else that’s not email. Alternatively you could send it to an email address that does SMTP to SMS or XMPP that way as well.

I’ve done this with mine - I send the message to “[email protected]” to send a message to my Verizon SMS phone.

Yes, most mobile carriers like Verizon, T-Mobile, ATT, et al have SMTP to SMS gateways.

1 Like

I’m looking for internal Instant SIP Messaging (chat) to the same extension that received the voicemail.

You can send a SIP Message to the phone when the call goes to voicemail with the MessageSend() function. You’d need some custom dialplan to hook that in but you could send a SIP Message to the phone that way.

1 Like