FreePBX policy based routing for trunk over separate connection

Totally agree! But why shouldn’t I bee able to get something working like that. The only thing I dont have any controll over is the provider end but it is not causing problems. As I explained in an other post in this thread I can register, receive and make calls from X-Lite on my laptop with the SIP credentials I got out of the FB if I do PBR on the MikroTik for my laptops IP.

So you can take the user/pass SIP details out of the FritzBox and put them in X-Lite and get registered with them? I mean as long as you add all sort of policy routing in the MT, etc to make it work. That is in no way a valid comparison for this.

You want to get it to work, I’m sure you can get it to work but I’m not going to try and figure out how to hack the FritzBox with the Mikrotik. That I haven’t done yet so if you want help with that I suggest the Mikrotik forums. But at this point it’s such a mess there is much more I can do for this issue.

Have you even tried the things I said to do?

I understand you, but unfortunately what you want to do and what you can do in this situation are two different things, in my humble opinion. I’m guessing here, but probably your provider gave you an ATA for a reason, and that is that they don’t expect and probably don’t want a PBX registering to their service. I bet the configuration would be so much easier if they provide you with a trunk, but I also guess that is a more expensive product if they even offer it.

Also, just as a reminder, registering a PBX to their service, even if possible, might be a violation of their TOS.

On another thought, in general you can’t have nore than one device using the same credentials, only the last one to register will be able to make/receive calls. It is strange that they would provide the ATA and also hand out the credentials to you.

Are you truing to do this on your home network or the clients network?

on the clients network thats why I was not yet able to do what you said. They want me to try this because it is very cheap if I get this working a trunk would be much more expensive, and I’m also interested in getting this to work just because it is difficult to do.

Uhm what type of VoIP service do they have now with the provider that got them this FritzBox? You realize that some of this isn’t done in the FritzBox but at a higher level? So even if you get this connected through the FritzBox they may not have the right type of service to support what they are trying to do.

No I got the cridentials from the FB. And I don’t think the ISP is bothered by what I do since they said I can try what I want, they just won’t provide any support.

They are a two person company and all they need is flat rate cals to any number in the country. But they want to be able to have the functionallity of a freepbx system(put calls trough to each other, music on hold, softpohnes on smartphones with VPN etc.)
BTW: about 10.- a month for flat rate calls

OK then you have to make sure their actual account with the provider is setup properly because you basically got a standard “business line” type of service. I will guess they will be limited to 2 calls, there will be a voicemail system involved and they will control how long to ring the device. Basically you are trying to get SIP Trunking services out of an account setup like a standard phone line. This is also 100% not supported by the provider which means any issues and problems that you have they won’t help with. Oh yeah and if they make changes in their equipment/firmware or update how they handle their services, since they expect a FritzBox and not a PBX if it breaks stuff they won’t care.

So yeah, what you said earlier about how this would be a cheap solution is kind of right. It’s way cheap for this customer as they aren’t paying you for this and it’s going to not only require a lot of work to just set up but it’s going to require a lot of work to maintain and support. So I hope they are willing to pay for that or you’ve just put yourself in a position of maintaining and support a horrible hacked solution for free or not and leaving them with a horrible hacked solution for the next guy to come in and figure out exactly what the hell you did.

Either way, you are putting the customer in a position that isn’t great. Generally providing hacked and almost unmanagible/unsupported services for a customer is just not the best way to operate.

Yes that is true and I never did this and will never do this for anybody else and I told them that this is really a hacked solution. And I guess since this has just turned in to a business model discussion I have to add that this is my dad’s company that’s my client in this case so it’s no problem that they don’t pay me for this since I enjoy trying to get things like that to work in my free time.

oh and about the call limit voicemail and ring time. we got that sorted out too, voicemail is off at the provider side it will ring indefinetely and i don’t know where te call limit is at least higher than 10 calls thats all i could test…

You should probably have started the thread with that info.

If I were you, I would just get an FXO ATA and connect it to the FXS on the FritzBox. Yoy will get all of the functionality of FreePBX without all the hassle of trying to make something work in a way that is not supposed to.

Yes I get that. I’m sorry but I cant write my lifestory at the beginning of a thread the only thing I wanted to know is if my linux routing I described in my first post is wrong or if that would work or where the issue was, with it just not working on inbound calls.

But I think by now I found the solution myself since after I reboted the router this setup in the first post has ben working perfectly in my testrig for the whole time we where argueing about if this is good practice to do or not.

But still I really aprechiate all the effort you put in to this, it is very kind of all of you guys!

1 Like

I was not referring to your life story, but to the fact that your provider gave you an ATA, not a trunk.

I’m glad to hear that you got it working; I hope it proves to be stable.

I’m curious about the deal – 10 channels of ‘unlimited’ calling for 10.-/mo. seems too good to be true.
What country? Does it include calls to mobiles? Is it £10, 10 €, $10 or some other currency?

I suspect that the ISP didn’t bother to limit channels at their end because the Fritzbox (depending on setup) is inherently limited to one or two channels. Too many concurrent calls may violate their terms of service, even though there is no technical measure to prevent it.

If at all possible, avoid this setup. Voice quality is degraded by the gratuitous D/A and A/D conversions. Doubletalk performance is degraded by having both directions of audio on the same analog pair. Latency is degraded by having two cascaded jitter buffers. Calling out is slow because the FXO has to wait for dial tone and send the number by DTMF. Calling in is slow (in most countries) because the FXO has to wait until after the first ring to see the caller ID. The FXS listening for DTMF introduces the possibility of talkoff. There may be trouble with e.g. call waiting, transfer / conference functions, etc.

ok yes thats true, so I guess then thats my fault, I’m sorry about wasting you time i should have told you that earlier on

The country is Switzerland.

Ok so I went and checked it again it is 15 CHF for the first line and then 10 CHF for every second line. It includes calls to every network in Switzerland mobile networks included. (obviously without the numbers which the called party earns money with like weather services etc.)

1 CHF = 1 $

It’s in German if you need translation ask me.

I agree, to me such a setup seems so strange to have to go analogue in an all IP system. And I had the same concerns about quality.

I’m not worried about that because they told me to go ahead and try to do what I want. Also after getting to the manager of the manager of the manager in the call center he even said that they used to do stuff like that sometimes for other people as well but a request like this was one in 10000 he said. So I guess im fine like that.