Freepbx.log log level

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but I have looked everywhere and can’t figure out how to see the log level for my freepbx.log. I’m trying to turn off INFO level logging.

I looked at Settings/Asterisk Logfile Settings and I see “full” and “console”. Guessing freepbx.log is the console log? The only category that has multiple levels is Verbose, but the description for Verbose doesn’t sound like this is what I’m looking for.

Am I looking in the right place, or is this somewhere else?

Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction.

You can add as many log files as you want with the level of detail appropriate, full is the standard one and I suggest you don’t mess with it, console is what you see at the asterisk CLI, If the verbosity is too much for you, decrease the verbosity but you can do that on the fly with core set verbose N wher N is usefully between a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 9. core set verbose 3 will set you back to the default. Further cre set debug 0-9 will also change the debug logging on the console.

“Full” controls what gets written to /var/log/asterisk/full and “console” controls what gets written to a terminal connected to Asterisk.

Post an example of an unwanted log entry, how often you get them and why you are trying to eliminate them.

ok, so I don’t think either of these is what I’m wanting. I’m wanting to turn off these INFO level log messages:

[2021-May-07 20:27:03] [freepbx.INFO]: Deprecated way to add Console commands for module backup, adding console commands this way can have negative performance impacts. Please use module.xml. See: https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Adding+fwconsole+commands [] []
[2021-May-07 20:27:03] [freepbx.INFO]: Deprecated way to add Console commands for module pm2, adding console commands this way can have negative performance impacts. Please use module.xml. See: https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Adding+fwconsole+commands [] []
[2021-May-07 20:28:02] [freepbx.INFO]: Deprecated way to add Console commands for module backup, adding console commands this way can have negative performance impacts. Please use module.xml. See: https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Adding+fwconsole+commands [] []
[2021-May-07 20:28:02] [freepbx.INFO]: Deprecated way to add Console commands for module pm2, adding console commands this way can have negative performance impacts. Please use module.xml. See: https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Adding+fwconsole+commands [] []

I would have to ask what use is a log without any ‘info’ in it?

did you go to

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Adding+fwconsole+commands

These are in /var/log/asterisk/freepbx.log, by the way.

and that is very meaningful, if you don’t want them, fix the problems, no?

If you just don’t care to see them, ‘grep them out’

cat /var/log/asterisk/freepbx.log | egrep -vi “things|you don’t| want to see”

I don’t think the warnings are anything I can fix. From what I’ve read, these are for developers, rather than end users. They use up space, and obscure any real issue I might be able to do something about.

What are your ‘real issues’ ?

That log is indeed more for the cognoscenti than the noob though and you would have to rewrite the core to change it’s behaviour.

No issue right now. My log is currently 1730 lines long, and 1714 are these INFO messages, so the 99% obscures the other 1%. I can easily grep out the INFO entries, but I don’t normally look at this log. But since the INFO level messages aren’t meaningful to me, was hoping I could eliminate them.

Oh, so no way to set logging level for this, then?

No, grepping out INFO and nothing is there, however

cat /var/log/asterisk/freepbx.log|grep -vi “Deprecated way”

would be a narrower filter

So to confirm, this log doesn’t have any option for setting levels, right?

Again, NO!

Again “What are your ‘real issues’ ?”

Sorry - thought your previous “No” was to another part of my post

Again “What are your ‘real issues’ ?”

Was going to look at “full” log for a custom extension issue (which I figured out), and noticed freepbx.log was sort of large - almost as big as “full” log, so thought there may be a problem (which I guess technically there is). Was hoping eliminating those message would make it more apparent next time I’m checking logs in /var/log/asterisk (i.e. more apparent based on size and last-modified time) if there was something more concerning going on.

Well, technically log size is based on logrotate settings. But actually more voluminous than my full log. freepbx.log is rotating every 3 days. Full is rotating every 30-35 days.

send you freepbx logging to /dev/null in advanced settings and move on.

Thanks