FreePBX install issues on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Moved as requested from Issue 12207:

Initially it appeared that libmyobdc has been removed from Ubuntu 16.04, however this isn’t really the case, but there are a number of version issues (see #12207 for details). The original point was to get FreePBX 13 to work with the current stable LTS release of Ubuntu.

When trying to do anything in the FreePBX WebGUI, there were warnings that “module SimpleXML is already loaded”.

Therefore, I commented out “extension=simplexml.so” from /etc/php/5.6/mods-available/simplexml.ini and restarted apache2. The Web GUI now works, until I try to “Reload Config” and then I get an error:
PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function FreePBX simplexml_load_file() in /var/www/html/admin/libraries/BMO/Hooks.class.php on line 84
Whoops\Exception ErrorException: Call to undefined function FreePBX
simplexml_load_file() in file /var/www/html/admin/libraries/BMO/Hooks.class.php on line 84
Stack trace: 1. () /var/www/html/admin/libraries/BMO/Hooks.class.php:84

I suspect that extension=simplexml.so is in fact required, so the question is how to get rid of the warning (which obscures the whole GUI) that “module SimpleXML is already loaded”.

Help please…

Please take a screenshot of said warning and post t here.

Here are 3 screenshots. The first is the initial symptom. In one case the red bar at the right disappeared and then the fuller error message in the second 2 screenshots appeared, with a mouse-over message “Ajax error”. The “Can not connect to Asterisk” is a new feature today! Asterisk is, however, running and I can connect to it with $ asterisk -R. Thanks for the help!

A simple Internet search reveals that the error comes as a result of Apache misconfiguration. http://www.somacon.com/p520.php

As stated previously. That error comes from php. It does not come from freepbx. So there’s honestly nothing we could do from our end.

I suggest using the distro. It’s much easier.

Thank you Andrew. I had already applied the fix in that link, i.e. I commented out extension=simplexml.so. As documented in the now-closed issue 12207: that fix cleans up this particular error and the GUI runs fine UNTIL I click “Apply Config” at which point it complains that simplexml.so isn’t loaded. Could you give me some hints on what happens with “Apply Config” that is different from the rest of the GUI?

Yes the distro is easier. So is XiVO. But we have several other Ubuntu 16.04 LTS systems in various roles and prefer to standardize. If your corporate policy is “the Distro way or the highway” that’s reasonable enough, the virtual appliance approach makes sense in terms of development and support cost and future revenue opportunities. However in fairness to the community you ought to enunciate that. Alternatively, make a serious effort to support the current LTS release of one of the most widely deployed Linux distributions in the world.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re volunteering to help with FreePBX 14, which is exactly that!

1 Like

I suggested the distro. I never said it was corporate policy. Nor did I say it’s the distro or the highway. Just trying to help make your life easier.

Ok that’s reassuring. Anyway - what’s different about clicking “Apply config” that might cause it to object that SimpleXML is not installed (when actually it’s compiled in to php)? Any ideas?

I could help test once it gets to Beta - but I’m not a developer and therefore can’t contribute in other ways.

Probably best for you not to try to use Ubuntu 16.04 then. You can use 14.04, or Distro, and you won’t have these problems.

1 Like

Hi guys, Time has flown and I’m back to this, now with additional options:

• FreePBX 14 is available based on php5.6 (and Asterisk 11, 13, 15)
  • there appears to be a reliable means of installing php5.6 on ubuntu 16.04 LTS
  1. Should I expect difficulties at this stage?
  2. In the case of an upgrade from FreePBX 13 to 14 and from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04: which should be done first, the OS or FreePBX?
  3. Is it still the case that “commercial” modules can only be installed on the Distro? The one I am interested in is the Sangoma End Point Manager.

Thanks in advance for any advice…