FreePBX Documentation

I’m not inquiring about anything. I know all about these things.

Asterisk is a critical component of a FreePBX installation. The PEER details is a field contained in the GUI in FREEPBX. You and I know all about the PEER details, and the fact that Asterisk is a separate project from Digium. But, new users don’t. Documentation is how they learn.

And that’s precisely what the documentation should say!!

Sure, anybody can go searching the internet for the answer to a question about CentOS. That’s certainly how I did it when Iearned how to set-up my FreePBX system.

But doing that wouldn’t be necessary if FreePBX released comprehensive documentation. It is true that Linux is Linux. Asterisk is Asterisk. Postfix is Postfix. CentOS is CentOS (or SchmoozeOS in this case). You could say that about every component of FreePBX and every component of Linux and every component of Asterisk.

If knowledge of Linux, or Asterisk, or Postfix, or something else is necessary to setup and use FreePBX, it should be documented. New users shouldn’t have to scour the internet to find the answers.

I agree that we all went through the hard work of learning Linux and learning Asterisk in order to use FreePBX.

But, if FreePBX is going to succeed in an environment where users can download 3CX and run their PBX on a windows server, FreePBX is going to have to provide documentation for all of the components necessary to allow a user to get their system up and running.