Freepbx distro installation

Hi, I’m installing FreePBX distro also following the official guide, the problem is that after selecting the version to install, after a few lines of information the screen goes black and the graphical interface does not start. If I press the shutdown button on the computer, it returns to print on the monitor that is shutting down.
Please help me

Did you try to connect a different monitor?

I had a similar issue last week using a new mobo with onboard video.
Installation appears to continue with only the Sangoma splash screen, then seems to hang probably awaiting some user input to proceed. Tried several different working monitors and video interfaces.
The OS is probably not recognizing the onboard video properly.

If you want you could install Linux Mint 64bit onto your PC. Install Virtualbox in Linux Mint and install freePBX as a virtual machine in Virtualbox.
Your freePBX machine is then independent of your hardware. You can easily backup it and move to other hardware.

Yes i did it

thanks, I’ll try

But he’d still have a hardware issue using the backup?

No he won’t have a hardware problem…in Virtualbox you can export the freePBX image (takes 10mins) and store it somewhere. If the hardware has to be replaced, the image can be imported in Virtualbox on the new machine.
There is just one thing…with the standard export settings, freePBX on the new machine needs reactivation, because of the HW change. With the correct export settings, you can circumvent this.

If your question was about the unsupported graphic controller…this won’t matter, because Linux Mint will support it and Virtualbox can take it from there…

What if he/she wants to use a physical machine and there’s a hardware issue still (ex onboard graphic controller)

Oh…so you think his HW isnt working…ok, in this case you are right…but I doubt it…I think it’s just a driver issue of the freePBX distro

I only jumped in as I could not install the most recent FBX16 distro on a new hardware build last week. I used similar specs for a windows box just recently (parts are compatible with each other).
I see a reference in the wiki on a text based distro installer, but that does not appear as an option in the most current distro iso version.

I seem to be having the same problem. I wanted a fresh version of 16 after upgrading from 15, but now it won’t even get to the first freepbx splash screen.

I suggest you add nomodeset to your grub kernel arguments. this will prevent the kernel from loading any video drivers so relying on basic bios resolutions.

I tried the following suggestions provided by another person, but when I hold the shift key, boot up proceeds as usual. For the FreePbx 16 distro, how do I add nomodeset?

press and hold the shift key after the BIOS splash screen to enter GRUB
press e on the line with the kernel you want to boot
find the line that has linux /boot/vmlinux blah blah … ro quite splash
insert nomodeset between ro and quite
control X to reboot

I am able to install Rocky8 minimal, so the system is functional, partways.

That should work. the order is unimportant and NOT being quiet is more informative.

After prolonged inactivity on the hhd, I hard power cycled the unit.
Shift from the getgo worked, but it wound up booting to Sangoma Linux 7 as I didn’t type the e soon enough perhaps.
Anyway, it appears FreePbx 16 distro completed the installation.
I’m at the localhost login
i entered root for the login
I entered SangomaDefaultPassword for the password looking at an old wiki page. Is there a default password if I never entered it during the installation of the distro?

SangomaDefaultPassword is the default password if you go ‘fully automatic’ or the install times’out while waiting for you to answer the onscreen prompts (A Catch-22 in some cases apparently :wink: )

Hmmmm, that did not work for me.
Tried a couple times for root user.
Well, I’ll try a fresh install again.
Thank you for your help!

ride the escape key as you boot.

At first boot, holding Esc or Shift still leads me to the FreePbx GUI (loaded from CD drive) screen where I can choose which Asterisk version, video output, and if I want a fully automated installation.
Where there are opportunities to look at editing the install at this point, it doesn’t seem to be an OS install, no clear place to add nomodeset.
I choose fully automatic mode this time, inspection of the options confirm the default password.
I keep pressing shift and the installation proceeds in text mode, but install proceeds in text mode.
After installing item ~650/~750, screen goes blank. I wait.
Then after a snack I press the space bar, and their are some post installation tasks. It finally completes. I boot and enter the default password. I’m in.

Now I have no network connection to LAN. Guess that’s a different mole to whack on a new thread…