Freepbx Cloud (plis)

hello community,

I’d like to get some ideas or suggestions about Freepbx on Cloud. I’ve 5 on-site Pbxs around the world, but I want to migrate one central to Cloud and then test it.

That central has 170 extensions, max 25 calls simultaneous and several IAX/SIP trunks to connect to another PBX’s.

1. is it good idea migrate to a Cloud or continuous using an Appliance?

2. What is the best way to run Freepbx Cloud?
    (FreePBXHosting.com, Vultr, Google Cloud, etc), I don’t have problem with the montly cost. I’d like to know what are the best workable solution?

3. Suggestion of good properties hardware?

4. Freepbx Security, Some advices or suggestion?

5. Can I connect my PSTN without any problems?

Forgive me if these questions might bother you, I just want to be sure and get expert advice on whether it’s a good time to migrate to the cloud. I appreciate any comment

I appreciate any comment :innocent:

You will find that many people in this forum are mainly cloud-based. Many will vouch for Digital Ocean or Vultr, and they both have good pricing. You should certainly implement a firewall, whether hardware or software.

Whether you can connect to the PSTN, it would have to be an internet-enabled service. So not PSTN in the traditional sense. You aren’t going to be able to plug analog lines into your cloud virtual server :stuck_out_tongue: but most SIP trunking services should work a treat.

I can recommend Vultr for running a virtual server, haven’t had any issues after deploying a FreePBX install for a client. I have locked the server down to the IP addresses of the offices that are using it and from which I’m maintaining it. I wouldn’t go with traditional hardware unless you’re looking for trouble. A virtual service is much easier to maintain.

I’ve been running a hosted deployment in Vultr for over a year now and works great. Zero issues. Both on premise phones with the offices static IP whitelisted and Sangoma Connect and a few phones at employees houses using dynamic IP’s letting the firewall do its thing.

No issues, zero complaints. Very happy with it. I like vultr because they allow you to upload an ISO so I can use the latest official distro of FreePBX

Thanks bro, What virtual properties of the hardware might work well?

Thanks bro,
Any trouble connecting Cloud to On-site?

Thank you for your recommendation.

Any other special suggestions to protect myself from being hacked?

On initial setup I use Non-Stanard ports and I use TLS for endpoints… Fail2Ban maybe blocks an attempt a few times a year… Use standard ports and your looking at constant attacks and Fail2ban blocking emails filling up your inbox…

1 Like

I let FreePBX firewall do it all. Vultr does offer an add on cost if you want to use their firewall as an additional layer of security but I havent found a need with the setup I just posted above…

Vultr Firewall doesn’t incur any additional cost that I’m aware of. Backups however do. After the last restapps hack I recommend paying the $2 a month for backups and having them done once a month. Phone systems usually don’t change that often once set up and vultr keeps the last 2 backups available. You can also do the FreePBX backups more often if you have a place to store them offline.

I typically use the $10 a month cloud compute mainly due to HD space requirements. I Have systems with over 50 extensions running on this platform with no issues.

I’ve had issues with the FreePBX firewall on some of my systems in the past, especially the reactive firewall. I use the vultr firewall in conjunction with the FreePBX built in and fail2ban.

As stated above I use off ports (not 5060, 5160 etc) for all sip and this cuts down on the hacking quite a bit as the scripts out there don’t find their targets. Security by obscurity isn’t a solution, but it does help a bit.

I’ve also developed a bash script that runs Curl API commands to populate the bulk of the Vultr firewall rules for each system. Took me an afternoon of reading and testing until I got it to work with zero prior API experience. Each system needs roughly 30 firewall rules to allow the local users and my office static IP access.

Yep I mispoke. Its the backups I pay extra for ($2month) and Im also using the $10 month plan. 1vCore, 2048MB Ram, 55GB SSD, 2000GB per month bandwidth. Runs great and I have the backups running every 7 days… $12 month and no on-premise hardware to manage.

100% dedication of at least one CPU core. 100% dedication of sufficient RAM. You do not want to have to wait for a CPU used by another guest to become free, and you do not want the host to be paging your memory, as you need to meet time constraints of the order of 20ms.

What do you mean by that exactly?

I will have 1 Freepbx in Cloud that must connect with another 4 Freepbx that are physically,

Are there inconveniences or quality problems?

Why would you do that? Simply connect your clients directly to the server and remove the physical machines I would say.

The OP may have requirements for local traffic to survive an internet outage, or may be in a country where the proportionate costs of internet bandwidth are high (hint a lot of people still seem to want to use G.729) and have a lot of local traffic.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.