FreePBX/Asterisk 16

I just received a new Sangoma server, and was under the impression that the current verison was already installed, but it wasn’t. I updated FreePBX to version 15, but Asterisk stayed at version 13.22. Can anyone point me in the right direction for upgrading Asterisk to 16.5? I can only find documentation for installation, and not upgrading.

AFAIK, FreePBX 15 is still in beta and not recommended for production. For Asterisk 16, you can try upgrading and running asterisk-version-switch; see

asterisk-version-switch worked. Thanks.

You understood the part where FreePBX 15 is BETA, right? Which means if you bought a Sangoma appliance you may have voided support or other options by moving to a BETA release. I’m not a 100% on that so if any Sangoma peeps can chime in that would be great. I would also suggest talking to your sales rep. about this.

Just understand FreePBX 15 is not recommended for production use so if this is meant to be a production server, you need to find out what can be done to get you back on v14.

Yeah I understand. I wish I knew that before hand, but all the PR for FreePBX 15/Asterisk16 I thought they were public releases.

What PR for FreePBX 15?

They announced FreePBX 15 in October of last year. The original announcement said nothing about it being ready for production, it was an introduction announcement.

Any other updates about FreePBX v15 state it is in BETA and not recommended for production. Not only that, the entire upgrade process has a warning that states that FreePBX v15 is in BETA and not recommended for production.

Right, that is all I have ever seen also. So I wanted to know what the OP was referring to.

If you want to know google FreePBX 15 / Asterisk 16. For example this page has no reference to it being a beta: https://www.sangoma.com/asterisk-16-freepbx-15-now-available/
It’s been out for a year, prehaps there should be listings that say it’s in beta. I’m not psychic, and no there was no warnings that were obvious that I seen when doing this.

Prehaps the process should be rethought, because if you search this issue, it seem s to be a common occurance. Unfortantely heinseight is 20/20, and I didn’t know to search for the problem in advance.

You don’t need to be a physic. There are no direct ways to install FreePBX v15 right now. There’s no tar bar on the source download page and there is no Distro ISO for it yet. The only way to get to it is by upgrading a v14 system. Which would have had this:

So again, no need to be physic just need to read.

1 Like

That page says it was released, nothing about beta! Like we’re suppose to know it’s in beta when it said it was released is released.

Did you test that message in all browsers and all versions? It was not on mine. So yes, you would need to be physic.

The announcements about FreePBX 15 are indeed confusing, suggesting it could be final (when you say something is available, this usually implies a final - not a beta). Also something being released usually implies you can install it without updating from the previous version. Both things are really not a big problem, but it is unnecessarily confusing.

The entire FreePBX distro seems to be not getting a lot of love at the moment though - neither Asterisk 16.4 nor Asterisk 16.5 made it into the repositories - which is a bit unusual (though also not a huge problem).

I hope the development pace picks back up again.

What gives you the indication that it’s slowed down? Because modules haven’t have multiple updates in just as many weeks? Too many updates means you’re trying to do too much at once or something is really wrong requiring all the updates. Slowing down how fast you push out a release to make sure it’s more solid does not mean development has slowed down.

1 Like

Well, like I said, neither Asterisk 16.4 nor Asterisk 16.5 made it into the repositories. This is a bit unusual (and Asterisk 16.5 also comes with security fixes, though not really bad ones). Also, if you want further examples, the FreePBX 15 alpha came out a year ago and we have only progressed from alpha to beta.

I’m not really worrying though! Perhaps they are busy behind the scenes with finalizing FreePBX 15, busy migrating from CentOS 7 to either CentOS 8 or Ubuntu, or just busy catching up due to the recent staff changes.

16.4.1 has been in the dev repo for a few weeks

CLI> core show version
Asterisk 16.4.1 built by mockbuild @ jenkins7 on a x86_64 running Linux on 2019-07-19 17:16:22 UTC

Asterisk in the Distro has always lagged a bit, and moving them to the stable repo lags even more. This is not new.

It all slowed down after Andrew @tm1000 left.

This sounds like it should be a private conversation.

No, it should be public and led by Sangoma. Only they can prevent wild and rampant speculation.

That’s not true at all. The amount of releases slowed down before tm1000’s departure and there have been complaints since the release of Asterisk 16 as to how slow it gets pushed into the repos for updates where new releases are pushed out by Asterisk.

None of this is new.

Pretty much this. I don’t follow anything close enough to get a feel for the speed of releases, but It seemed to slow when resources were focused towards 15. This has nothing to do with personnel changes. The speed of15 being released is a whole different can of worms.