freePBX appliance port configuration

There was a similar question asked in the past few months, but I didn’t want to hijack that thread and it didn’t seem like a resolution was reached anyway.

Basically, I have a freePBX appliance that has 3 ethernet ports. I want to use one port to connect to my router. (The router is also my DHCP server for what it’s worth) I want to use a second port to connect to a POE switch that my phones are connected to. I’m looking for advice on the best way to do that.

Is it as simple as enabling the second ethernet port in the GUI and assigning a static IP? I tried this, but something weird happened and I had to go back through the freePBX setup and “reactivate” the appliance. All I did was enable that second port. It was strange, so I stopped messing with it. But after doing that, I would have to manually set the IP of each phone, wouldn’t I? And when I go to register the phones, I would point them to the IP of port #2 on the appliance? In this configuration, how would I download/install updates for the phones?

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide. Still learning here.

Make sure you don’t set more than one gateway. Probably what you want is set eth0 (connected to your router) with DHCP. Then eth1 with an static IP address, just fill in IP and netmask.

But you will also need a DHCP service on the network where the phones are , presumably the same device as the provisioning server

If I configure the appliance as described by Santiago, that is, eth0 DHCP and eth1 static, why would I need a DHCP service running on the network with the phones? Can’t I just configure the phones to be static as well and just point them at the IP for eth1 as the registration server?

So for example:

eth0
IP: 10.10.10.10 [dhcp]

eth1
IP: 192.168.1.10 [static]
Mask: 255.255.255.0

phone1
IP: 192.168.1.11 [static]
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Server: 192.168.1.10

Don’t need DHCP on the network where your phones will be.

Santiago, thanks for confirming re: DHCP.

Given the configuration proposed in this thread, that is, eth1 static with no gateway and the phones sitting on this network, at what point (if any) would I need to employ static routes?

Since the phones have no access to the Internet, what would be the most logical way to update firmware in the phones when the situation arises?

Thanks again!

What are the phones that you are using? If you are provisioning phones using Endpoint Manager then the firmware is first downloaded to the phone system and then the phones download the firmware from the phone system. There shouldn’t be a need for the phones to have access to the internet.

I have Yealink phones and I’m manually provisioning them. (Only have a few phones) I don’t use the Endpoint Manager.

If you are manually provisioning them then you’ll also need to manually update the firmware by putting a laptop or another computer on that network and doing it through the phone’s GUI.

That’s what I suspected. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.