FreePBX 16 Bandwidth.com Trunks setup

I just installed FreePBX v16 distro and am stuck at the trunk setup for pjsip and bandwidth. We are a bandwidth partner/wholesale user and it needs to be setup using IP registration, not username/password. I scoured the internet and found no examples of the pjsip/fpbx 16 setup using bandwidth; I even searched here and this question has been asked before (4 months ago) but…never answered. Surely someone has got this working successfully…Can we please get an example of the correct settings to use for this?

FYI…We’ve got other freepbx’s running with bandwidth fine, but they’re all chansip…This is our first attempt at fpbx16/pjsip

I don’t know who flagged my comment as off-topic but they are incorrect. My questions where very on-topic because of the actual changes to how things are being done in the last 9 months.

Folks, in Dec 2021 the FCC defined a VoIP Provider as anyone/entity selling VoIP services to customers directly to customers. That means every little MSP in the US with something like Flowroute, VoIP.MS, Vitelity, Bandwidth, et al. and are trunking PBXes to them while charging customers for voice service makes them a VoIP Provider.

VoIP Providers, as of right now, must comply with the RoboCall Mitigation Database and they must implement STIR/SHAKEN and sign their own calls. I know Bandwidth is going to say they can still sign calls but at best they can only sign them as a B (I know they aren’t right now but they will have to at some point). Now in order to do STIR/SHAKEN that means the person/entity needs to be a 499 Filer, have an OCN, register with the STI-PA and get a token, get a certificate for said token and sign their calls.

The grey area is gone with VoIP Providers in the US in regards to who is one and isn’t one. It is now pretty black and white on what a VoIP Provider is and what they need to do. So yeah, when someone is asking to connect their PBX(es) to a wholesale network like Bandwidth means they are a VoIP Provider looking to sell services. As of today that means the VoIP Provider must comply to regulations and rules or they are operating illegally and out of compliance.

Again, my questions where on-topic because

– The OP may not be aware of all the new changes the FCC issued in the last 9 months
– The OP may not be aware of any of this and once informed will do the proper steps because they want to do it right
– Same as the previous point but instead of doing the propers steps they flout the rules and continue on anyways.
– I’m willing to help with 1 & 2 but I’m not willing to help a new VoIP Provider turn up and operate out of compliance and regulations.

The FCC has done nothing but add more pressure to providers/carriers under their purview. They are not sitting around idly, I should know they are already on me for missing a deadline. So why you may think you can go under the radar from the FCC by not filing or registering the FCC will just start to pressure the carriers they regulate.

Again, the old days of just selling VoIP services because you can install FreePBX and have a wholesale/resale account with someone is gone in the US. There are new rules you have to play by.

Does this affect businesses that incidentally provide phone service (hotel, hospital, school, etc.)? Even if it isn’t a separate line item on their bill, a portion of the client’s charges are for phone service.

What about nonprofits (church, soup kitchen, etc.) that allow clients to make phone calls? The donors are being ‘charged’ for phone service.

Ordinary businesses that allow employees to make and receive personal calls when they are not ‘on the clock’?

No, that isn’t the same thing at all. Those are businesses that charge for the use of their voice services not that they are charging their clients for the clients own voice service. Plus they might not be using an Interconnected VoIP Provider for their voice services. AT&T, Verizon, and others are not that. They are CLECs, ILECs, etc.

This would apply to Billy Bob’s MSP that is servicing said church and soup kitchen as their PBX admin and also selling them a SIP Trunk+DIDs+Usage (or unlimited) voice services directly. That makes Billy Bob’s MSP, in the eyes of the FCC, a Non-Facilities Based Interconnected VoIP Provider. I.e. they use someone else’s network/infrastructure/connectivity to provide their voice services over. AKA Over-The-Top VoIP. Interconnected VoIP Providers also can’t be a number authority without special permission from the FCC and thus they need to facilitate their DIDs from a CLEC, etc. that is a number authority.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.