FreePBX 16.0.40.4 hangs on reboot and shutdown

I’m using a Dell Optiplex 7010 micro from early 2023. The only issue I’m having with it is that I can’t get it to reboot. It hangs saying it’s rebooting, but never actually reboots. It does the same for shutting down.

I’ve tried adding “acpi=force reboot=acpi” to grubby with no luck. Any ideas on how to fix or diagnose?

Can you reproduce this same problem on other hardware ie non Dell ?

1 Like

I’m not sure. I don’t have any other hardware to install it on. The 10+ year old SuperMicro 1U server that I was using didn’t have this problem.

look at /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog for clues

This is the best I could find. Will try a few more times in the near future. Looks like there are a few things in the process of stopping, but haven’t yet.

Sep 10 12:06:40 freepbx systemd: Started Delayed Shutdown Service.
Sep 10 12:06:40 freepbx systemd-shutdownd: Shutting down at Sun 2023-09-10 12:07:40 EDT (poweroff)…
Sep 10 12:06:40 freepbx systemd-shutdownd: Creating /run/nologin, blocking further logins…
Sep 10 12:07:02 freepbx systemd-shutdownd: Shutting down at Sun 2023-09-10 12:08:02 EDT (poweroff)…
Sep 10 12:07:02 freepbx systemd-shutdownd: Creating /run/nologin, blocking further logins…
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Stopping Session 7 of user asterisk.
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Stopping Authorization Manager…
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Stopped target Timers.
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Stopped Stop Read-Ahead Data Collection 10s After Completed Startup.
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Stopping Availability of block devices…
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Stopped target RPC Port Mapper.
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Closed LVM2 poll daemon socket.
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Stopping RPC bind service…
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Stopped Daily Cleanup of Temporary Directories.
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Stopping LSB: DAHDI kernel modules…
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Stopped target Multi-User System.
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Stopped Resets System Activity Logs.
Sep 10 12:08:02 freepbx systemd: Stopping Inotify System Scheduler…

Are you running the Sangoma distribution or did you install your own OS and then install FreePBX on top of it?

I’m using the Sangoma iso from the website.

If you look at the console during the shutdown what do you see?

I took a screenshot.

This looks like an issue with the hardware. Not sure what to tell you where to go from here as it seems that the OS has already completed the shutdown process and sent the hardware the command to restart. Doesn’t look like your hardware is following through.

Maybe you could try and install different OS on it and see if it has the same issue shutting down/restarting.

The machine came with Windows 11 and that rebooted no problem. You’ve given me some things to think about and Google so I’ll see what I can come up with. Thanks for your time.

Edit:
So one thing I haven’t mentioned which I thought was irrelevant is that the wifi doesn’t work. I found another post where they fixed their wireless issues and then their system started rebooting properly. Tomorrow what I’ll do is disable the wifi in the bios and see if that does anything. I have “Intel Corporation Device 7aa4” which is an Intel AX201. It would be nice if I could get it working, but I have a feeling it’s not meant to be.

Probably already thought of this, but I repurposed an Optiplex to run FreePBX 16+ and works fine. I did make sure BIOS was latest before I installed. Also installed it to software RAID 1 volume. If BIOS update is available, might be worth a try. It was hard to update BIOS (had to use a USB set to boot).

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.