I wanted to add a bit more on top of the blog post above from @jfinstrom back in 2016.
Edge module releases were originally two weeks.
That was back in 2016 before FreePBX had a proper QA team in place.
With the introduction of the full Sangoma QA team the time frame changes drastically for each module and depends on the complexity of the issue therein. Some issues can take a week. Some can take two weeks and others can go on for a while. QA does its testing from edge because that is the closest release to the user base they can get to (encoded and packaged and signed) so it’s the best way to test.
This means that modules can appear to be forever in edge while older releases are pushed out while new features or issues are worked on. In the past modules were just published when the tickets were closed.
This caused users to complain that modules releases were happening too quickly and sometimes with unstable bugs. Since the development cycle of freepbx is ongoing and doesn’t follow the same development cycle as asterisk we decided to have a staging system. Sort of like how chrome has a beta. Canary and nightly (and actually the backend mirror server supports all of these tracks but we only ever implemented edge!)
Since modules are continually worked on I doubt you’d notice very many modules that only say stable with no edge releases. Especially with over six people working on freepbx development full time!
If you have a pbxact system you notice this even less because modules are pinned to specific versions of releases. Even edge modules are pinned.
I believe when 14 went stable we had quite a few modules in Edge as well and even if we didn’t after 5 days we definitely had quite a few.
With a full QA team in place release cycles of Edge modules should probably be re-clarified because the blog post from 2016 and user expectations are a little outdated.
Thats not bad. It’s just progress.