FreePBX 14 Distro Install - Asterisk 13/14/15?

I’ve been configuring our new FreePBX server since November. Our go-live date is now 2/21. I spoke with a Sangoma rep today, and I realized that the distro I installed was not the best choice. I used the AsteriskNOW distro…which is a little behind. So our “new” server is running:

FreePBX 13.0.194.2
PBX Firmware: 10.13.66-22
PBX Service Pack: 1.0.0.0

It seems like it will be best for the long-run to get on the official FreePBX distro. Since I still have some time before our go-live date, I want to do a fresh install of the FreePBX distro (https://www.freepbx.org/downloads/freepbx-distro/) and configure it from scratch now that I have the hang of it.

I wanted to get community advice on which Asterisk version I should go with to make sure I get it all right this time. I want to be on solid ground now but have the best chance for a smooth upgrade down the road, too. Here’s what I see on the install screen:

freePBX_install

I did a little research on the Asterisk website, but nothing major jumped out at me. My main concern is any potential issues I might have with devices & trunks connecting to Asterisk. I did have some difficulty with that on our current version, but I have just about worked all the kinks out now. We’re using res_pjsip for trunks & all devices/softphone extensions, except for our Cisco 7960 phones, which only work with a chan_sip extension. Our SIP trunk is with CenturyLink (previously Level3) and does not require registration/authentication.

Any input would be most appreciated!

Start with 13. It’s trivial to change asterisk versions whenever you want:

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/Changing+Major+Asterisk+Versions+on+the+Fly

1 Like

Ah, thanks! That makes it very easy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why would you not just start with Asterisk 15? Just curiious

I assume that anyone who has to ask is probably somewhat new to the Asterisk/FreePBX ecosystem and would therefore be best served by the most mature version that is still in active development. Obviously there is no single correct answer.

Well said. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.