FreePBX 13 to 14 Upgrade Issues

Trying to get some old boxes updated and after I’ve done the upgrade process I’m having a ton of permission issues, files not being able to be open. I got to run the post upgrade script and this is what I keep getting:

######### Starting upgrade repair on Fri Dec 17 14:57:03 UTC 2021 #########
######### Cleaning old EL5 and EL6 packages #########
######### Enabling and starting mariadb #########
######### Running mysql_upgrade #########
######### Attempting to check for internet connectivity #########
######### Invalid certificate. It is likely that something is doing SSL interception #########
######### Please assign this machine to the unfiltered zone and retry #########

So anyone have ideas on how to get around this? I can’t get anything to start. I’ve done these updates in the past but this is the first one I’ve had any real issues with.

Oh wait, I got it. Turns out that the upgrade just decided to make up new passwords for things, changed a bunch of permissions, totally screwed up the Apache updates. What a mess.

Did you figure out what this error is about? (just curious)

Nope because the issues turned out to be other things that I was able to fix. It does help when the upgrade script doesn’t make up new passwords that don’t match existing ones, not finish changing owner/group settings in Apache or other things and having proper file permissions all over.

One day I’d like to do a major version upgrade in FreePBX that doesn’t make me clench up so tight I could make diamonds out of coal.

Luckily for you, 14 to 15 and 15 to 16 are relatively minor. The 15 to 16 new PHP stuff even worked everytime so far.

1 Like

Here’s the next fun part. Apparently these two servers had HA installed when they were originally installed. Not being used but now I get alerts about FreePBX HA module being broken and having invalid signatures. Trying to do anything with that module through Module Admin in the cli, everything returns the module can’t be found. So can’t refresh its signature and I can’t do anything to change this broken state. Guess I’ll see what happens when I move them to v15.

Quite happy not to be dealing with that module… Good luck.

1 Like

if you have to do it again consider not doing the upgrade in place , take the 13 backup and restore it on a fresh install of 15 or 16

I think you’ll have much better results

considering the partition structure in place for HA its probably the better route as well

These aren’t VMs so that would require hardware replacement. I’ve done these upgrades in the past, closer to when 14 first came out. This was not an issue then because HA was still “supported”.

I did try a restore to a v16 machine but it was non-distro. It just threw a bunch of fits about MySQL/Maria drivers not existing despite it working just fine to do everything else running the system. I haven’t had the time to dive deeper into it the cause but I will.

I do have a v16 system sitting here, luckily these places are simple setups with maybe an IVR and ring group and just a bunch of extensions. Bulk Handler allowed for the heavy lifting to be done.

Let’s not forget that this entire upgrade process was designed (by Sangoma) to be an in place upgrade. It shouldn’t be doing things like making new Asterisk Manager passwords for admin or not updating Apache settings. The whole issue with the HA module is that it has been removed from the mirrors and thus the signature checks always fail and now people are stuck with this.

1 Like

Just for those keeping score. The upgrade also completely wiped out customdevstates and device entries in the AstDB, along with call recording and other AstDB only settings. Luckily I had exported everything via Bulk Handler and a simple import fixed the issue.

I will say this, I got two more to do like this and by far the work that needs to be done to fix what the upgrade breaks is still less in cost than getting new systems and doing and backup restore.

Edit: It also completely screwed up all the PJSIP transport settings.

Have you had any weird voicemail quirks? I almost always have issues with voicemail settings post-upgrade.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.