Free pbx and compatible cisco phones

Maybe I just needed to give it some extra time to register. ‘Registering’ went away, it just says ‘Your Current Operations’

After rebooting the phone, it is back to registering…has been like this for about 5 minutes already. Is this common when phones are rebooted? Seems odd (mainly because it is taking a long time).

It takes about 10 minutes, after a reboot, but the phone finally does register. That seems odd, but I suppose it is a good sign that it appears to register.

Am I missing something?

Trying to get outbound calling to work using my Google Voice Trunk (the trunk is setup properly…a soft phone can dial in/out using the GV Trunk). I assume that outbound calling using the 7961g is possible…

Agree with SkykingOH that the Cisco phones - particularly the more recent ones are a right royal pain to get going, but once you understand the process, it is really quite easy.

Personally I have run a bunch of Cisco phones with my FreePBX - 7940s, 7960s, but primarily 7970Gs.
I agree with Skyking’s feedback regarding the early versions of 9.x firmware, however I have had no issues with the new 9.3(1)SR2 SIP image for the 7970 that was released about a month ago, and I use my 7970s heavily as I telecommute.

With the Cisco SIP images, there are upgrade paths you need to follow to allow your phone to install newer images (can’t just go straight to the current one from the very early ones).
My recommendation for the next version you try would be 8.5(4) which is still highly regarded as one of the most stable.
9.3 is also then a direct upgrade from that version if you were interested.

My TFTP directory has the following files for my 7970s and a phone can perform a firmware upgrade and register ready to dial in ~4 minutes or less ( is the firmware version) -
apps.sbn
cnu.sbn
cvm.sbn
dsp.sbn
jar.sbn
SIP.loads
term70.default
SEP.cnf.xml
load30006.txt
XMLDefault.cnf.xml
td-sip.jar
dialplan.xml
distinctiveringlist.xml
g3-tones.xml
ringlist.xml

Happy to help and share my configs to get you up and running on the 7970s if you are interested.

A few questions

1. If I use the endpoint manager to provision the phone, do I still need the custom config files?
  2. Why does it take 10 min for the phone to provision after a power cycle of the PoE switch?
  3. Outbound and inbound calling work with my soft phone, but not with the cisco phone, why is that?

Regarding #3, I am not using the custom config files yet.

Thanks.

There is a reply from sdart that I saw via email, but it isn’t in this thread.

10 Mins is long. My 7941g and 7960 took 1 min. after PoE reset.

The length can stretch out a lot longer when it can’t find config files to download since it will keep retrying. The easiest thing is to Wireshark it and see what server it is trying to get files from and what files it is asking for.

One issue could be what you referenced earlier with regards to the termsXX.default.loads file. It must match the file versions you want loaded. For example, I have my terms41.default.loads file for release 8-3-0-50. It specifies the 5 binaries it wants to download which are all 8-3-0-50 version files. If you accidentally had a different terms… file than your binaries, your phone would take the time to try and download those.

@azmtnbike

It appears the answer to question number 1 is, yes, I need to add config files. Why does the endpoint manager have config files if I need to add my own?

Thanks.

The Cisco software is copyrighted and can’t be distributed with the EPM.

Got it. What is the point of having Cisco in the freepbx EPM?

And what are the files, for compatible Cisco phones, for in the EPM?

How are so many people able to get this working?

Thanks.

I pointed out to you earlier that only the 7940 and 7960 work.

As to why you are struggling, can’t comment on that.

The Cisco call manager phones are a science fare project. They were never designed to work with 3rd party PBX’s.

1 Like

Yep the EPM works really will with the pre-XML cisco phones - 7940s, 60s etc - but since then, while it promises to potentially support, I haven’t had much success even when heavily editing the template in EPM.
Instead I have had quite an easy time just editing a working template from someone else for my 7970s. While there are a ridiculous number of tags that can be applied to the SIP image Cisco phones in the XML config, you really won’t need most of them because you want to maintain defaults.

Being new to this forum, I have not worked out how to PM anything (or if PMing is available here), but if you can contact me I am happy to share my config files which I use within an environment containing 15 Cisco endpoints (5 of which are XML based) and work without issue.

I have found the same in just a couple of days with EPM. The configs for the 79x0 come out fine. But I get a “File not written to hard drive!” response to rebuilding the configs on the 79x1.

One other side issue I have on my FreePBX is that changes are not rebooting the phones. I found that the Notify: Check-Sync goes out, but the syncinfo.xml file does not get changed so the phone does nothing. Same thing happens when using the “restart phone” on the GUI.

@sdhart, at the top of the page click on messages, you should see one from me.

Thanks

Hi tomdlgns, I don’t have that button on my page, but reading through forums it seems a number of people don’t due to permission settings.
I have asked the mods that my permissions be changed to allow access, and then I will respond.
Sorry for any delay.

chown -R asterisk /tftpboot

To fix “File not written to hard drive!”

That happens when you place a file in tftpboot as root and then attempt to use EPM…

spot on, I almost thought you had fixed my syncinfo.xml issue as well since it was root. The error is gone, but it was another file it was choking on. EPM is not attempting to change the syncinfo.xml file.

I am receiving e-mails with thread updates, but not seeing anything in this thread. Is there a problem with the forum?

Thanks.

anyone else willing to send/share their config files?

7961g

thanks.

The following is from a 7941g generated by Endpoint Manager. I can post a 7941g and 7942g config I use at work that are not generated by Endpoint Manager tomorrow.

<?xml version="1.0" ?> SIP admin password M/D/YA Central Standard/Daylight Time pool.ntp.org Unicast 192.168.0.100 5060 true 192.168.0.100 5060 none FreePBX 9 1001 192.168.0.100 5060 1001 1001 12345 3 *97 9 1002 192.168.0.100 5060 1002 1002 12345 3 *97 dialplan.xml United_States United_States 64 1.0.0.0-1

i am not sure if i am getting anywhere.

-how do i confirm if my phone registered with freepbx?

when i turn on the poe switch, the phone seems to connect/register with freepbx. when i first made this thread it seemed as if it was taking forever.

i noticed i can dial, but i do get a message telling me my call can’t be completed.

if i switch back to my soft extension (1001) i can dial my google voice number and the softphone works.

if i switch to my cisco extension (1000) submit/apply, when i dial my google voice number i get a ring and then a fast busy.