Forced MODULEADMINWGET to true

Hello I am getting this in the messages, any idea how to resolve and why?
Thank you!!!

Forced MODULEADMINWGET to true

I got that message on one of my installations.

The parameter it is referring to is a parameter in the advanced settings module, and it appears to relate to the protocol that FreePBX uses to download updates.

It doesn’t seem to cause any trouble, so I didn’t worry about it.

I received this warning message too. Can one of the developers provide an explanation?

Hello All,
Today, I also facing with this message…
and I found in Tools menu -> Advance Settings -> GUI Behaviour -> Use wget For Module Admin was set to True (the default is False)…

could any body please advise? … what’s going on?

Thanks & Regards
Winanjaya

If you hover your mouse over the text “Use wget For Module Admin” you get the following tool tip. It is self explanatory.

Module Admin normally tries to get its online information through direct file open type calls to URLs that go back to the freepbx.org server. If it fails, typically because of content filters in firewalls that do not like the way PHP formats the requests, the code will fall back and try a wget to pull the information. This will often solve the problem. However, in such environment there can be a significant timeout before the failed file open calls to the URLs return and there are often 2-3 of these that occur. Setting this value will force FreePBX to avoid the attempt to open the URL and go straight to the wget calls.

It does as described in the tooltip that alan so graciously copied above.

Any time it is set to false, the first time that FreePBX detects a failed attempt to get to the mirror site it will automatically set this setting assuming this was the cause, and then try to get it using the wget command.

I would have to check the code, it may be that we may falsely trigger this setting in the event that the mirror site is down when you were trying to access it though in any event, it causes no harm and we’ve debated wether this should just be the norm.

Hi Philippe,

I have a FreePBX 2.9 system on which the database is monitored. Yesterday at 17.30 the setting for MODULEADMINWGET went from 0 to 1.

I assumed this was some intruder changing the setting to enable further compromising the box, and we heavily firewalled it. Logs showed nothing.

Today, again this happened. It suggests that something cron-based is turning this on. Do you know of any mechanism for it?

thanks
Leo

Hi Philippe,

I have a FreePBX 2.9 system on which the database is monitored. Yesterday at 17.30 the setting for MODULEADMINWGET went from 0 to 1.

I assumed this was some intruder changing the setting to enable further compromising the box, and we heavily firewalled it. Logs showed nothing.

Today, again this happened. It suggests that something cron-based is turning this on. Do you know of any mechanism for it?

thanks
Leo

Do you have some sort of rootkit/intrusion detector? personally i use rkhunter and snort, they check the veracity of many things everyday and in line and can inform you as to what changed and when. My experience has been that a common location of such cron jobs scripts and their payloads will be in /tmp .

Trouble is such software is less effective if applied after the fox got in the hen-house, but installation is still a “good thing” as it might catch the script-kiddy stuff post-partem.

I personally suggest that you think of implementing an ephemeral ram based /tmp file system, under heavy fire, a ctrl-alt-del might your whole day, even if you pissed off a few clients while it reboots.

I do seem to remember though that freepbx builds it’s backups in that space ( a bad place IMHO :wink: ) so a large backup used to fail unless /tmp is BIG.

JM2CWAE

FreePBX will auto set that if it detects the firewall is blocking the normal module checking and move to a wget only mode. My guess is you have in General Settings the system setup to email you any time there are new modules to update so when it runs that check it does a module_admin list which is why it is switching to wget mode. I also bet you have a Sonicwall as that is the one of the only routers that wget mode has to run in.

Hi

This system has no firewall at all, has run for 4 years in the same state. I suspect there is a problem contacting the update server?

Thanks
Leo

Leo,

the detection mechanism that Tony describes is a fairly simple test. The intent is to check for firewall problems but all it really does it address timeout issues which usually come from the firewall.

If there was an internet problem anywhere along the way, or if our servers were down or unresponsive, the same thing would happen. I suspect it is almost certainly that issue that is going on.

Check your FreePBX log file. Our logging information in FreePBX is not great but since we added the mechanism we’ve tried to add useful information bit by bit. This is one thing which we will log and tell you that we automatically changed this for you so it should be there.