Force voicemail password change

Does anyone know of a way to force voicemail passwords to be changed for users. I did a bulk add and set them all to the same for the moment. I wanted to know if it was possible to force the user to change them.

If not my other idea would be to randomize them in the CSV file then Email them out to all the users.

Not sure if this will help now that the import is complete but,

In voicemail admin settings, if you set forcegreetings=yes and forcename=yes and set the voicemail PIN to be the same value as the user extension, it will force the user to change their voicemail PIN, record their name, and their busy and unavailable messages when they attempt to retrieve voicemail from their phone.

From the original voicemail.conf file:-

In the sample voicemail.conf file you should find this section:

forcename=yes ; Forces a new user to record their name. A new user is
; determined by the password being the same as
; the mailbox number. The default is “no”.
forcegreetings=yes ; This is the same as forcename, except for recording
; greetings. The default is “no”.

If these are set to yes and the user’s voicemail password is set to
their mailbox number, then the next time they enter the voicemail box it
will ask them to record their name, greetings and change their password.
NOTE!!! Make sure you tell them NOT to set their new password to their
extension when they reset it. They will end up going through all these
steps the next time they enter their mailbox :slight_smile: I forgot to tell a
couple users this and I got a call asking why they had to record their
greetings every time they went into their voicemail.

edit
@lgaetz snap!!

Thanks guys, we have our voicemail setup to only Email currently.

I can run the import and do an edit, I need everyone to set their voicemail up with a standard greeting. So if I do as you suggested, when they log in to setup their greeting it will force them to change their password correct?

Is there anyway to force a “complex” password? I have a feeling people are going to set it to 1234.

/etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf

will contain all your vmail data, write a script to identify what you think is unacceptable in that file then rewrite the password back to the extension, this will eventually piss them off so much they will listen to you.

Start with

cat /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf |grep " => "|cut -d “,” -f1|awk ‘{print $1 " has password " $3}’