For PAY -> Make WebRTC work with user/device mode?

Hey Schmoozers,
Would an $800 bounty make WebRTC work with user/device mode faster? Who would I have to talk to?

Or possibly make the webrtc phone work with custom credentials, saved via cookie?

I doubt it at this time. User/Device mode is just not something we are actively supporting and have not for a few years. The amount of work would be substantial to make it work and we are all hands on deck trying to get FreePBX 12 into a Beta.

I just feel like this would solve a major hole. We’re switching to user/device mode and having webrtc capability would make chromebooks a reality for customer service agents.

From a view standpoint, wouldn’t it be:

1. Adding a dropdown in Users for enabling webrtc for the user
  2. Adding a dropdown in Users for assigning a device for the webrtc user?

As an alternative, is there just a basic webrtc that could be configured on first load and saved via a cookie? We could live with that…

Sorry man! I just love WebRTC so much, it could be a major catalyst for change around the many businesses I work with.

What is your reasoning for using User and Device mode?

Customer service agents currently use softphones on Windows PCs that are in a lab -type configuration, meaning they may not be at the same desk every day. The problem right now is they have to register at every new computer they sit at, and the directions aren’t exactly clear from a non-technical perspective.

To simplify, if I enable device->user mode, those same softphones are essentially “pre-registered” in the user’s mind, so they only have to *12 from the dialer to become active.

The end-goal is to issue impersonal chromebox or chromebook devices, which will allow them access to our CRM, most platforms, and with the WebRTC phone, the idea was to also issue them a cheap USB headset, and voila - complete customer service solution from a Chromebook.

They would also be able to fall-back to Windows softphones or desk phones if-necessary, from a user/device scenario, without much re-config.

I hope that was detailed enough… let me know if you have any other feedback!

Without wishing too much, I know it’s not a possibility right now, but also the conference and transfer features in the screenshots were such a letdown when I realized they weren’t in production yet. :slight_smile: Wish I had $5k around to drop on some bounty-development to finish that!

Eric

Conf, Hold and Transfer do not exist in the phone as Webrtc has no spec for it and Asterisk has nothing for it yet. Until that is added nothing we can do.

Tony,
I know, thanks. TM1000 made that clear in a previous post.

I also don’t think 5k would even get you close as this crosses many lines.

But softphones and SSL VPN’s on Chromebooks sounds doable.

So two things…

1. What can I do to encourage active development on U/D mode? It’s really phase two for a lot of large businesses, especially related to hot-desking.
  2. I don’t think it’s all that hard to get webrtc working with U/D. How can I help?

I think your attitude and response in this thread (http://www.freepbx.org/comment/276552#comment-276552) is exactly why I have no remote interest in getting or doing this for you. Am I suppose to help a member of the community when that member won’t even help the community as a whole? And I quote “Will NOT be sharing it with any of you. NO SOUP FOR YOU!” You made the choice so there it is. Laid out and I have now made the official choice on this thread.

That being said. The next step for WebRTC is incorporating it into UCP, since ARI is going away the ARI version is no longer actively being worked on. In UCP it’s up to User Manager if it will support U&D mode. I do not know at this point in time.

Furthermore I am closing this thread. The decision has been made and we aren’t going to “flame” about it. I am just ended it. I offered you the code agreement to help with development of the module but you didn’t progress further on it (perhaps because you didn’t expect that response?).

I am sure in due time you will hire a programmer to fix it and again keep it for yourself. I wish you luck.

Thanks.

1 Like