Firewall - Restrict 443 from a single IP only - How to?

I need to restrict web access (443) to my FreePBX server via a single IP address only. what is the simplest (read recommended) way to do this?

Should I just setup an IPTables rule at CLI or is there another recommended approach?

Thanks

If you are using the Distro, apparently it’s not currently feasible to easily add any reliably persistent custom rules of that granularity in the gooey. But

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Firewall+Custom+Rules

Thanks @dicko
I implemented the rules but no luck

[root@ast ~]# cat /etc/firewall-4.rules
-I INPUT \! --src x.x.x.x -p tcp --dport 443 -j DROP  # if web access NOT from VPN x.x.x.x drop it
[root@ast ~]#

File permissions set

[root@ast etc]# ll firewall-4.rules
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 60 Mar 20 06:21 firewall-4.rules

Custom firewall Rules enabled

Is there anything I’m missing?

iptables -L

Does not showing the rule implemented

as it says ‘not writable by anyone else’ than root (chmod 0600)

Done.
Disabled & reEnabled Firewall
I’m still able to access 443 (FreePBX GUI) without connecting to VPN.

ll /tmp/fire*
ls: cannot access /tmp/fire*: No such file or directory

ls -l /etc/fire*

I’m logged in as user “root”

I have done chmod 600 /etc/firewall-4.rules multiple times and within a few minutes, it automatically changes back to 666, not sure why or how.

NOTE: the chmod command shown on https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Firewall+Custom+Rules is 644 and not 600 while my server seems to love to keep it at 666. Totally clueless :frowning:

ls -l /etc/fire*
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root   60 Mar 20 07:12 /etc/firewall-4.rules
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    0 Jul 29  2020 /etc/firewall-6.rules

/etc/firewalld:
total 28
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2006 Oct 30  2018 firewalld.conf
drwxr-x--- 2 root root 4096 Oct 30  2018 helpers
drwxr-x--- 2 root root 4096 Oct 30  2018 icmptypes
drwxr-x--- 2 root root 4096 Oct 30  2018 ipsets
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  271 Oct 30  2018 lockdown-whitelist.xml
drwxr-x--- 2 root root 4096 Oct 30  2018 services
drwxr-x--- 2 root root 4096 Jul 28  2020 zones

1. Should my firewall rule start with -A or -I
    I have tried both but not entirely sure of the right switch

2. After saving the rule in /etc/firewall-4.rules, I disable-enable the custom firewall rules button. Is this required or do I need to do anything to activate the rules?

3. I believe when I disable/enable the custom firewall rules button, the file permission changes from 600 to 666

A appends, I inserts presumably you need to insertit , but I can’thelp you with the firewall module, I don’t use it

What do you suggest is a good way to implement the rule I need – allow 443 from x.x.x.x IP only and DROP all other source traffic?

I will have to leave that for someone else with knowledge of the module

(Defcomllc) #13

I mean I don’t solely use FreePBX firewall…I have a hardware firewall (Untangle)… I port forward 443 to my internal FreePBX Server LAN static ip…and set source address to the IP I am connecting from…then in FreePBX… I add that same source IP to Firewall and mark as Trusted Zone…AND in Intrusion Detection I white list that same source IP… works great

(Henning Reich) #14

The easiest solution would be a simple clean iptables-rule as you already tried.

This is how it should work:

# become root 
sudo -i
# disable and stop firewall-cmd, not sure if its installed. its basic on centos7....
systemctl disable --now firewalld
# install things
yum install iptables iptables-save
# enable and start things
systemctl enable --now iptables
# add your rule 
iptables -I INPUT \! --src x.x.x.x -p tcp --dport 443 -j DROP  # if web access NOT from VPN x.x.x.x drop it
# show your current settings
iptables-save
# save it
service iptables save
# or overwrite it manually and restart iptables/reboot
# iptables: Saving firewall rules to /etc/sysconfig/iptables:[  OK  ]

Trouble with that is it would be your only rule, which is probably not a good thing, if ‘inserted’ as a first rule in INPUT after all the other rules are in place and make it stay, would work, but the official way seems o be a problem here

Maybe I’ve missed something.

Why not just use the GUI?

Directly editing /etc/firewall-4.rules probably should have worked. Best guess is the comments mucked things up.

(Henning Reich) #17

Its not a configured firewall. Ist just “no-firewall” with one exception (block 443 if ip is not matching), as thats the thread creater wanted.
If he use more rules or a fully configured iptables-firewall, he should re-think the rule order and the rules.
Maybe he can post a bit more about what the “realy” want and what the setup is.

I don’t see anything in the thread implying that is the case.

@vaibhav shows a screenshot with advanced rules enabled, which means the firewall must already be enabled, and @vaibhav also states “Disabled & reEnabled Firewall.”

If the Firewall is enabled, then the advanced rules options should work as advertised. They do here.

Apparently, in his case “They don’t there”

iptables -L

Does not showing the rule implemented

He was only trying editing /etc/firewall-4.rules directly, and then with comments. Don’t fight against the system - use the GUI and remove the comments.

Comments confirmed as an issue, firewall.log excerpt(line without comment works, line with comment fails):

1616377705: Custom rule: /sbin/iptables -I INPUT ! --src 99.98.97.96 -p tcp --dport 443 -j DROP
1616377705: Custom rule: /sbin/iptables -I INPUT ! --src 99.98.97.95 -p tcp --dport 443 -j DROP \# this is a commentw
Bad argument `#'
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

Comments are allowed in the file, but the processing is sophomoric. They must be on a separate line and the “#” must be the first character. Anything else and the entire line is wrapped in an escapeshellcmd() and passed to iptables (hence the “\#” in the above log)…

foreach ($cmds as $id => $cmd) {
        if (empty($cmd) || strpos($cmd, "#") === 0 || strpos($cmd, ";") === 0) {
                $lineno = $id + 1;
                fwLog("Skipping line $lineno in file $f ('$cmd')");
                continue;
        }
        $safecmd = escapeshellcmd($cmd);
        fwLog("Custom rule: $ipt $safecmd");
        exec("$ipt $safecmd");
}