Feature Request

Hi,

Could I request a feature? My job would be made a lot easier if it was possible to have a description field available on a lot of the config pages. eg DID and Trunks, Ring Groups etc.

This would allow some Text entry to describe the function/use of the config in question.

Hope this gets considered…

Steve

As a matter of fact, it already exists. The files you are talking about are not really labeled the way FreePBX labels them in the GUI (web interface). Asterisk uses its own config files that FREEPBX has taken advantage of do to all sorts of cool things…

The files that you would want to read about are all in the /etc/asterisk/ directory. To learn about the DID functions and the different things you can do with inbound and outbound calls/DID’s, look at extensions.conf.

Here is a link that may help:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=voip-info+extensions.conf

Thanks for the reply but I’m thinking more along the lines of being able to store comments within FreePBX.

eg Each DID number could contain a text field that would allow the user to enter information so other users would be able to read and know what that DDI was being used for etc.

I think I understand…

Are you talking about “appending” the caller ID on incoming calls, eg. “Sales: 9725551212”, where it shows the DID that was called?

If you are looking to do this in the config files, you can do so by adding “;” to the end of the line and then a description… if you needed to ever go back and “look” at the coding, you could do so from within FreePBX GUI (i think) or your favorite linux text editor… The first line of the code below shows the “;” followed by notes…

Here is an example:

exten => 2143066528,1,Set(__FROM_DID=${EXTEN}) ;here is where you put notes
exten => 2143066528,n,Gosub(app-blacklist-check,s,1)
exten => 2143066528,n,Gosub(cidlookup,cidlookup_3,1)
exten => 2143066528,n,ExecIf($[ “${CALLERID(name)}” = “” ] ?Set(CALLERID(name)=${CALLERID(num)}))
exten => 2143066528,n,Set(__CALLINGPRES_SV=${CALLERPRES()})
exten => 2143066528,n,Set(CALLERPRES()=allowed_not_screened)
exten => 2143066528,n(dest-ext),Goto(ext-group,700,1)

Depending on your needs, appending the CID may be the answer…

What is the medium that is used to “view” these notes? Is it a caller ID system that you “note” things about a DID?

Is it just a phone that rings and you want to know what DID was called, or what dept that caller is really calling?

Do these notes need to “change” from time to time?

Is the need for “notes” because you are using some type of CRM software?

What is the end result you are looking for, ideally?

Doug

Doug - The poster clearly indicates he is looking for a free form text field on the config pages.

Your posts are confusing and off topic.

Thanks skyking - Got it in one

Guess I was confused as to what he was looking for…