Fear not for FreePBX Distro Sangoma, as CentOS replacement is here

OK, I know there was thread months back when RH nuked CentOS, but I can’t seem to find it, no matter its that far back now it’s likely auto-closed.

Ordinarily I wouldn’t post this, but since FreePBX Distro is CentOS based, Sangoma might not have to panic about using an unsupported OS or a dodgy bleeder that may have bugs, ie: Stream.

Rocky Linux is brought to you by the same guy who started CentOS

other blurb @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Linux

type “rocky linux” in the ‘search box’ above . . .

2 Likes

I’m not really a distro advocate but I really would like a fully supported ARM version. I thought CentOS 8 was producing a 64bit ARM version, I had not heard about the EOL – oh well…

Sigh, as would many catholics (small c) but that thread indicates otherwise, only RH based solutions will be considered , and most of these seem less than fully committed to ARM’s for some reason. So raspberries to pies and routers as yet . . .

There may be hope:

After ongoing discussions with members of the community and foundation partners, we are also pleased to announce our plans to treat both x86_64 and ARM64 as priority architectures for the project, with builds for both to release concurrently.

saw this on Rocky Linux discourse site.

I guess I must be misunderstanding something. SNG7 is derived from RHEL 7.x so how does CentOS changing make a difference? Why does FreePBX need Rocky Linux?

Just going to take a stab at it and say that other forums and blogs spread misinformation resulting in confused posts like these, here.

Well SNG7 was when it switched from being CentOS derived to RHEL derived. So people probably haven’t kept up and realized that 14 and 15 are on SNG7 with is based on RHEL 7.x

It’s RHEL based via CentOS. If CentOS8 is gone, they will need another base distro unless they want to do all the heavy lifting removing the RHEL proprietary bits:

Sangoma 7.6 Distro GA | FreePBX - Let Freedom Ring

If you’ve been around the forums long enough you’ve probably seen posts and comments from our staff and even our users referring to the “Sangoma 7 Distro” or “SNG7”. The Sangoma Distro is a derivative of CentOS which itself is a Linux distribution that provides a free, enterprise-class, community-supported computing platform functionally compatible with its upstream source, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). This means that the Sangoma Distro itself is a variant of Red Hat. The “7” references the “7” in the CentOS Distro and RHEL 7.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.