Fax detected but not sending to fax extension

I’ve got a new setup that I’ve compiled with GVSIP on a Debian Stretch instance.

I’ve got everything set up according to the GVSIP howto here: How-To Guide for Google Voice with Freepbx 14 & asterisk gvsip, Ubuntu 18.04

If I set the inbound route to go directly to the fax extension, it works fine. If I set it up to do fax detection (SIP), it appears to detect that a fax is incoming:

[2018-08-14 09:49:52] NOTICE[28657][C-0000000f] res_fax.c: FAX CNG detected but no fax extension in context (from-did-direct)
[2018-08-14 09:50:03] VERBOSE[28657][C-0000000f] app_dial.c: Nobody picked up in 15000 ms

but it fails to send it to the fax extension.

I have verbose logs I can post if needed, but I feel like I’m doing something trivially dumb here and I hope someone can help.

Wait, are you sending fax through GV?

Well, I haven’t tried sending faxes through GV, but I may try that later. Right now, I want to get fax receiving working first.

I was able to send and receive fine using the old Motif plug-in. There was a script that set up the fax extension. I haven’t analyzed that yet but I ran it and the fax extension was set up.

I don’t really know if the fax extension hand off is working right, or if I need to do something special for that.

As mentioned, faxing directly to the extension works (to hylafax), and fax detection seems to work, but I can’t figure out why it’s not forwarding to the fax extension after detection.

I initially tried setting up fax extensions in FreePBX / Xorcom. I found that it was… not as stable as I wanted.

So, I set up IAXModem (I have currently 8 virtual modems running on my box), a “Fax Pool” custom destination, and all of my inbound routes with fax DID’s go to the Fax Pool custom destination. From there, I modified extensions_custom.conf to make a ring group to ring the IAX Modems… in Hylafax, I edited FaxDispatch to look at the DID coming in for the faxes, to decide to which email address to send the converted-to-pdf faxes.

Overall, it works very well that way… if I want to add another fax number, I just add an inbound route to go to the Fax Pool destination, and edit FaxDispatch for the new delivery location.

That being said, I receive between 2000 and 2500 faxed pages a week… and send out about 600 a week on average.

Oh… and with it all set up this way, I can use the Hylafax Reloaded virtual printer, so my users can all fax from their desktops.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.