Fail2Ban Help FreePBX 13

Hello FreePBX Forum,

Thanks for the great forum. This is my first time posting to this forum requesting your expertise. I installed FreePBX 13 onto CentOS 7 using the wiki guide (I cannot post a link because I am new to the forum). I am aware that I would not be able to install the commercial modules on CentOS 7. The help that I am seeking is in regards to Fail2Ban. I installed Fail2Ban on it’s own by using “yum install fail2ban” and I made a copy of the jail.conf file “jail.local” and then I edited the .local file to change the bantime, maxretry, findtime, and destemail information. However it does not seem to work with FreePBX 13. My question is: How can I interconnect/link Fail2Ban to FreePBX 13 without using the commercial module? Or is it even possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If the question seems too ambiguous, I can provide more information as needed.

The fail2ban that the system uses (configuration-wise) is tightly coupled to the performance of the Integrated Firewall. There was some work on-going to allow for “manual” updates to be added to the firewall. I don’t know what the status of that work is. @xrobau is the primary belly-button for that.

Having said that, I don’t believe the same thing can be said for fail2ban.

In a distro system, all of this work is done in the Firewall Config module and is managed from the GUI that way. I suspect that what you are trying to do manually can actually be managed through the module, and if it can’t, you need to submit a trouble ticket through the “Issues” link above.

@cynjut

Thank you for your reply. I will take a look at that and see if I can make it work that way. If not, I will take your advice and open up a trouble ticket.

There is no point opening a ticket unless you are running a supported platform. Manually installing FreePBX means manually installing and configuring everything else as well.

Hello Igaetz,

Do you have any suggestions or insights that could lead me in the right direction? I would appreciate any help.

http://www.fail2ban.org/

Will provide latest downloads, recipes for all the jails you might find usefu, not just asterisk, and an active mailing list for support ussues

@dicko

Thank you for the quick response, I will take a look at this and see what I can do.

It’s complete! The GUI for firewall was redone at the beginning of Feb, IIRC, with a bunch of new features that people were after - one of them was the ability to add custom rules.

1 Like