Extensions greyed out, Asterisk not running, retrieve_conf error 126

FreePBX console is running, but it shows an error for Asterisk status on the FreePBX System Status Page saying

• “Asterisk is not running” …

I also have a warning that the SSH server is not running when it is and an intermittent error that says the Web server is not running when it is (sometimes it will go green - so that’s why I say intermittent)

I also get an error saying "“Reload failed because retrieve_conf encountered an error: 126”

and one other failure that is too long to print but looks like an SQL query that refers to custom extensions but is related to the retrieve_conf failure

Also extensions is Greyed out on the menu

I managed to resolve all the above issues purely by accident when I was setting up Squirrelmail. I noticed that xinetd.conf had no service set up for telnet or imap (used for Squirrelmail), so I added the following:

service telnet
{
flags = REUSE
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
bind = 127.0.0.1
log_on_failure += USERID
}

service imap
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/local/sbin/imapd
}

I then restarted xinetd and telnet. This somehow resolved my issues

lead them on a wild goose chase. The two events have nothing to do with eachother. Here is an answer that can be some what helpful. http://www.freepbx.org/forum/freepbx/general-help/resolved-changing-asterisk-manager-password-users-devices-are-greyed-out

Yes, this is crazy…Telnet is amazingling insecure. Do not ever follow these instructions.

SSH is the secure method to shell in (hence the first S)

Telnet is the insecure, clear text shell. Only good for administering routers and switches (and most of those have a GUI for the mentally challenged). Cisco and Juniper (I am sure others) have SSH already so even they won’t use it.

I have to be redundant, do not install telnet daemon on your server because some knuckle dragger will open it to Internet.

Did I mention not to install telnet?