I have got some older SIP extensions (running chan_sip) which have recently stopped working. Really struggling to get to the bottom of this - partly because I have no idea what logs or where to look.
I was just going to not bother and upgrade the phones, but I have one modified ATA which integrates a doorbell to the phone system and that has stopped working too.
Can anyone suggest what log files I need to check and/or if there have been any changes recently which might have cause this?
I have managed to get one of the devices working by doing a restore from a backup. Great I thought, now I can bring up the config screens and do a line-by-line check of the config and get the other phone (which I was adding to the network) to also work.
I checked line-by-line
- The chan-SIP config files only changing the ‘secret’ and the extension number
- The config screens on the devices again carefully ensuring only the secret and the extension numbers were different
Still no luck (and yes I did save and apply the updates)
So, I thought I’d make sure the new device was correctly configured by logging it onto the working extension. Unplugged the working extension and changed the password and secret to match on the ‘new’ additional handset. Again, no success.
Now the obvious conclusion is that the phone is faulty - EXCEPT - I set it up first go on a 3CX pbx immediately when I could not get freePBX to work. Registers fine … I went back and triple checked again - line-by-line. Still no joy.
So now I am really confused. The log files (which I have now found) are only marginally helpful. I have to go out but I will post a further update on my return.
I have now returned from my meeting. I wondered as I traveled if the issue was with the IP address being blocked, so I have now changed the IP address using the DHCP (fixed) allocation tied to the MAC using an IP which has never been used to my knowledge and STILL no success.
I have checked the various log files … file2ban, freepbx_security.log, freepbx.log and full. When I try rebooting the phone, nothing shows up with even the correct timestamp let alone anything related to this extension.
Really really puzzled.