Exception->() /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf:41 When Applying

I setup my first non-distro install in Azure using CentOS 6.9 and the instructions found on https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Installing+FreePBX+13+on+CentOS+6#InstallingFreePBX13onCentOS6-InstallCentOS6 (Asterisk 13.15.1, FreePBX Version 13)

Everything seams to be working ok except when ever I hit the Apply button I get this error.

exit: 1
Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl exist?)
Exception: Unable to connect to Asterisk through the CLI in file /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf on line 41
Stack trace:

1. Exception->() /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf:41

Running fwconsole chown and then hitting “retry” from the error box appears to let the commands take and every time I hit apply afterwards works fine but i’m not sure how to fix it permanently.

Asterisk is NOT running or it is running as root

Thanks, your right. asterisk was running as root. I’ll redo this VM to try and get it right this time. Being my first non-distro install, any idea what step did I most likely missed in the wiki instructions. I’ll try doing another install but want to make sure I can catch my mistakes.

fwconsole start will run asterisk as the asterisk user

/usr/bin/env safe_asterisk -U asterisk -G asterisk&