Eth0: Link is down

Hi All,
So this server is 13.0.190.7. Occasionally inbound calls stop working. Looking in /var/log/messages I see eth0: Link is down. Making an outbound call seems to fix the inbound issue for some time. A few hours later I’ll realize that inbound is not working again… repeat…

Please, what could be the problem?

Thank You,
John

“Link is down” means that the physical connection between your /dev/eth0 device and what you are connected to is broken, i.e. you unplugged the cable, an intermediary switch is broken, or your virtualization is broken, this is a basic networking problem and nothing to do with FreePBX.

Hello Dicko,
This is not my first FreePBX and is on the same switch, router and modem as I’ve been using for about 8 years. I’ve never had this problem before. None of my other equipment or computers are having any trouble using the same devices.

There doesn’t appear to be any issues with cabling. No mice or anything like that. :wink:

Could it possibly be the on-board eth connector of the server machine? This seems to have been an intermittent issue since setting up on this machine.

Also, when I notice that inbound is failing, I make an outbound which works and then inbound is working again. Making an outbound call fixes no inbound calls every time. This doesn’t not seem like a router or cable problem to me.

Thanks again,
John

Yes, it easily could be the nic, try replacing it.

ehhh it’s on-board. Thank you though. I’ll try finding one that will fit into this shallow case.

Just look on amazon or ebay for “low profile” network card, pci pci-x or whatever . . . .

I have and will never shop on amazon. I found a couple of cards in the drawer. Just removed the metal bar from the end. trying one out now. Thank you

OK. I have eth0 and eth1 showing on the screen connected to the server. it lists eth0 with the static IP assigned, but eth1 has no ip and I can not connect to the server from any other machine on the network. How do I switch to eth1 please.

Thank You,
John

i’ve just copied the ifcfg-eth0 file to ifcfg-eth1 and changed that one line about device in there. Not sure if it’s gonna work or not. Thinking I may need to remove the eth0 file…

If you have two NIC’s then you should probably edit out /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net.rules to reflect the mac address of your preferred interfaces and then reboot and then the old ifcfg-eth0 config should work on the new mac address

Ok that file had two lines like
SUBSYSTEM==“net”, ACTION==“add”, DRIVERS=="?", ATTR{address}==“00:13:21:d5:ae:e5”, ATTR{type}==“1”, KERNEL=="eth", NAME=“eth0”

but the second one mentioned the MAC and Name of eth1. I commented out the first line regarding eth0 and rebooted.

… waiting…

Probably one said eth0 the other eth1, and the mac address will idemntify the hardware the ethn device will userebooting will regenerate that file.

it’s not working. After reboot after logging in, I see
interface MAC IP
eth0 it’s MAC 192.168.1.117
eth1 it’s MAC 192.168.1.117
fe00::210::b5ff::fe82::9ca

well you said you copied ifcfg-eth0 to ifcfg-eth1 so you probably don’t want to have them both with same IP :wink:

I’m editing ifg-eth0 file now. Changing bootproto=static >> bootproto=none
is this right? what about the IPADDR=?? blank?

Thank you,
John

use “ifconfig” or “ip addr” from bash to see which one is “up” (plugged in) and what it’s mac-address is, plenty of help there in google.

i haven’t had much luck finding help through google. I don’t even know what what I need to do is called. From bash I give ifconfig. eth0 shows with no ip and eth1 shows with the desired static ip. However, no access via GUI and no soft phone connections…

I do so appreciate the help dicko.

Thank You,
John

Use ‘ip’ not ifconfig, it tells you more, with the help of ‘man ip’ i’m sure you will gett there

comical. I ran man ip
this doesn’t help and now I can’t get out of it. lol. at this point my phone will be down for good. This is not good.

Got it! Q well q

back to it now…

OK. I have eth0 : mac : no ip
and eth1 : mac : 192.168.1.117
but I can not reach it from any other machine. pinging requests time out.