Endpoint Manager Issue

The end point manager is creating configuration files with pre-populated values instead of variables so they are dynamic as they should be.
My example would be in creating the spa504.cfg which is referred to as global.cfg I created this:

<flat-profile>
	<Resync_On_Reset>Yes</Resync_On_Reset>
	<Resync_Periodic>60</Resync_Periodic>
	<Profile_Rule>tftp://{$server.ip.1}/spa$MA.xml</Profile_Rule>
        <Proxy_1_ group="Ext_1/Proxy_and_Registration">{$server.ip.1}</Proxy_1_>

<Upgrade_Rule group="Provisioning/Firmware_Upgrade">/spa50x-30x-7-4-8a.bin</Upgrade_Rule>

<!-- ########################################################################################### -->
	<!-- Subscriber Information -->
        <Station_Display_Name group="Phone/General">{$displayname.line.1}</Station_Display_Name>
        <Dial_Plan_1_ group="Ext_1/Dial_Plan">(**xxx|**xxxx|*xx|xxx*|xxx**|xxxx*|xxxx**[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)</Dial_Plan_1_>
        <Voice_Mail_Number  ua="na">{$vmail|*97}</Voice_Mail_Number>
        <Default_Ring__1__ group="Ext_1/Call_Feature_Settings">10</Default_Ring__1__> 

</flat-profile>

As you can see there is a variable in place for “Station_Display_Name group” so that each users name is displayed on the top right of the phone, contrary to lets say the Default_Ring which we set to 10 and is fixed.

Once we create this “main” template the spa504 it should never change, and should look exactly like this on the server.

The problem is that when we write the files do disk and apply them to the phone, the sysem is writing the above so that it looks like this:

<flat-profile>
        <Resync_On_Reset>Yes</Resync_On_Reset>
        <Resync_Periodic>60</Resync_Periodic>
        <Profile_Rule>tftp://10.1.10.10/spa$MA.xml</Profile_Rule>
        <Proxy_1_ group="Ext_1/Proxy_and_Registration">10.1.10.10</Proxy_1_>

<Upgrade_Rule group="Provisioning/Firmware_Upgrade">/spa50x-30x-7-4-8a.bin</Upgrade_Rule>

<!-- ########################################################################################### -->
        <!-- Subscriber Information -->
        <Station_Display_Name group="Phone/General">Bob Smith</Station_Display_Name>
        <Dial_Plan_1_ group="Ext_1/Dial_Plan">(**xxx|**xxxx|*xx|xxx*|xxx**|xxxx*|xxxx**[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)</Dial_Plan_1_>
        <Voice_Mail_Number  ua="na">*97</Voice_Mail_Number>
        <Default_Ring__1__ group="Ext_1/Call_Feature_Settings">10</Default_Ring__1__>
</flat-profile>

As you can see above “Bob Smith” is now on every phone. There are a few other little similar issues, but I made soo many changes to my configs in trying to troubleshoot the problem that I can’t detail them as well as this one.

Now to be fair, let me make sure I get this process perfect:

1. Build the template for the global.cfg file as well as the $mac.cfg.
  2. The global.cfg becomes the model of the phone cfg, in this case spa504.cfg
  3. push the two configs to the tftp, the phone syncs and we have applied those configs.
  4. the spa504.cfg is the main file the phone reads and then it calls the spaMACXXX.cfg file which is the individually customizable file.

Does that sound right?

Thanks!!!

Can we IM ??
This might make it easier, if thats cool with you.

What device do you want to IM through

aim or msn

Please give me you IM name for either

Thanks!

OK I would like to use a global.cfg, and didn’t realize that existed ( sorry about that ), BUT if your in a mixed phone environment the spa504G.cfg, spa525G.cfg and lets say spa942.cfg would all be considered global configurations for each model, and the only file that should be generated with static information should be the spaMACADDRESS.cfg.

Am I saying that correctly?

In my example, I have 2 people in the office and on the top right of the phone display they both say “Bob Smith”

You need to clarify for me. Is Bob Smith a user in your system or is this a name that is randomly coming up

Bob smith is a user on the system Yes… and if you edit the global file while working on Bob Smiths config, then its adding that to the global model file.

Now are there some rules as to what options we should put where?

I “assumed” bad thing to do, that if I wanted 30 settings to be the same on all phones I could put them in the main file and the rest of the settings can be in the individual file. I also thought that the spa504g.cfg file since it was a main file should never be written to with static data.

THANKS FOR helping me on this… almost there.

You’re just getting confused. It’s ok.

The variables you see such as “{$displayname.line.1}” the phone will never see. These variables are sent to Endpoint Manager and endpoint manager will replace them.

Therefore when you generate configs the spa504g.cfg file gets written over for every phone you have. Eg for you it gets written over twice, Bob Smith being the last time it gets written over.

Like I said simply move <Station_Display_Name group="Phone/General">{$displayname.line.1}</Station_Display_Name> to the spaMAC.cfg file and you’ll be file.

Im not in the right mode on my computer to be editing the SPA configs right now but if you are saying the station display name is in the wrong file then I’ll just have to move it.

OK, in my example the TOP configuration is what I put into the endpoint manager as a global config.

The second example is what the endpoint manager actually wrote to the disk, which has “Bob Smith” in one of the places that it should be a variable.

You are absolutely sure “bob smith” is not a user on your system. I don’t know where that came from and it’s not in my files

You are getting confused as to how this all works.

Please move <Station_Display_Name group="Phone/General">{$displayname.line.1}</Station_Display_Name>

to the mac file. Remove it completely from the global file.

Yes that is right and endpoint manager is working exactly how it should be.

What’s the issue/problem?

OK let me review this with you to make sure this makes sense.
spa504.cfg is the “main/general/global” configuration file.
This is where you put global settings you want ALL of the 504G’s to use.
The phone reads that file first and builds spaMACADDRESS.cfg which is more of the individual settings. Correct?

If so, then when that master file gets values written to it ( like bob smith ) thats wrong, because then ALL the phones say Bob Smith.

If it wrote Bob smith to the spaMACADDRESS.cfg that would be ok.

Am I missing something in the concept?

Yes you need to write it to spaMACADDRESS.cfg

It’s written this way to support SPA phones out of the box. As out of the box they will ONLY look for spaMODEL.cfg

OK, so where am I confused if what I pasted was the spa504g.cfg file??
Thats what I’m trying to say, the global file which is for all the phones is being written to with static information.

Whats so static about it? You aren’t being very detailed.

Why dont you just edit “global.cfg” instead of “spa504g.cfg”???