End Point Manager - Special settings for outgoing proxy

We use Snom-870s as our main desktop handset. We employ SRTP with these units and in order for this to work the outgoing proxy setting has to have the string ;transport=tls appended. I set this up once in the old version of the commercial EPM but my notes from that time bear no relation to the user interface currently present. Where do I put this so that it is applied to all Snom phones. I would think that the SNOM template is the place and that the Destination field is where it should go. However, the help for this field only mentions IP addresses.

Naturally I am unwilling to test this hypothesis on our PBX so can someone in the know advise me as to where this setting should go?

When I view the Basefile for the Snom phones I get an XML document that contains this:

<!--#Configuration automatically generated via the EndPoint Module
#DO NOT HAND MODIFY THIS FILE!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<settings>
<phone-settings>
<user_outbound idx="1" perm="RW">__line1Dest__:__line1sipPort__;transport=tls</user_outbound>
<rtp_port_start perm="">10011</rtp_port_start>
. . .

The two line immediately above the ellipsis are displayed in red, which probably means that they are customised. As I have no idea where this data is entered I can only infer that the settings I made under the old CEPM were carried over somehow to the new. But I cannot find where this is provided for in the new user interface.

To meet your goal it will require modification of a base file for the brand of phone. May I suggest the FreePBX manual section on base files. I found this most helpful when learning how to set the RTP port range for Polycom phones. It’s not much different for the handset your using.

http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/EPM-Basefiles

good luck

When I go to the Edit Basefile page and select SNOM this is what I see:

<!--#Configuration automatically generated via the EndPoint Module
#DO NOT HAND MODIFY THIS FILE!

<settings>
<phone-settings>
<user_outbound idx="1" perm="RW">__line1Dest__:__line1sipPort__;transport=tls</user_outbound>
. . .

My original question stands. if this file is automatically generated and is NOT to be modified by hand then where are the settings it is generated from kept in FreePBX? I found a link at the bottom of this page (which was scrolled off the view window and that leads to this:

Applies to Model(s)
M325 M700 M9 MeetingPoint PA1 S-300 S-320 S-360 S-370 S-710 S-715 S-720 S-760 S-820 S-821 S-870 S-D315 S-D375 S-D715 S-D725 S-D765

File: 	
Perm: 	
Parameter: 	
Value:

However there is no clue given as to how this:

is translated into the fields given on that sub-page. What is the file name one is supposed to use? What does Perm mean; Permanent? What are the permitted values? I can gather that the Parameter refers to the opening tag itself. and that Value is the text between tags. But is the parameter in this case user_outbound idx="1" perm="RW" or something else.

Trial and error is simply not an option here. I cannot simply plunk something in; press update; and hope that I do not bring down my entire internal telephone system.

When the warning states “DO NOT HAND MODIFY THIS FILE!” it’s referring to a user who may log on to their server and modify the file via a text editor like nano or vi. The base file portion of the EPM provides a GUI for the user to make changes to the configuration file when done the EPM generates those configuration files including the changes made by the user via the EPM base file GUI. The FreePBX manual provides an explanation for how SNOM configuration files are interpreted by the GUI. May I suggest taking the time to read that section of the manual over again, if it’s still confusing. Find the administration manual for the SNOM product and read the section regarding configuration files and deployment. That may help you understand what can be achieved with use of the EPM base file editor

Perm probably means permissions then, and that will mean RW in this case. Given that this is supposed to be following SNOM configuration then I gather that the file name is actually a URI pointing to a custom xml file that looks like this example:

<phone-settings e="2">
 </phone-settings>

Am I correct?

I do not have knowledge of SNOM product configuration files to answer your question outright. Best I have to offer is what I already provided.

From my own experience, I could not understand how to correctly use the EPM base file editor until I first understood the configuration file parameters of the handset.

Thanks. I have determined that my inference is correct. Placing the desired custom xml in a sepatate file and passing the path and name of that file to the entry and changing the basefile has the desired result. I am unable to ascertain whether or not this file is permanently referenced thereafter or not. There does not seem to be any obvious way to determine what settings have already been entered or how to remove them.