E911 Kari's and Baum's Law

Does anyone have information on compliance with the E911 requirement if users dial 911 from Zulu Mobile?

Even if this is unlikely, what is the answer here?

Far as I can tell from this link: https://www.sangoma.com/blog/support-for-karis-law-ray-baums-act/

It states that: " For “non-fixed multi-line telephony system” phones or devices which are off-premises, such as a remote-office desk phone connected to the company PBX, businesses have two years to fulfill the regulatory obligations. Another example of this would be the Sangoma UC client softphone called Zulu (installed on your computer or mobile phone). Businesses also have two years in this case."

I asked about that during the Q/A, they said that most mobile phone based softphones will dial 911 with cell instead of voip, so one would have to verify that with the softphone provider I guess.
They did not know about what to do for the case of people using softphones on laptops though.

Because with a cell phone, you are out and about. They won’t have a location on you. Also I do believe many smart phones, or the softphone will automatically use the cell phone to dial 911.

If you are on a laptop, then you are probably in one single location, though you could be at some coffee house. You will either have to use a cell phone if you are out and about , because if you are using the PBX to make calls, then they have your location already programmed at a stationary spot.

Cool… Also, I thought of the option on an extension to enter “Emergency CID” value, which overrides all other values for caller ID apparently. For Zulu Mobile or Connect users, you could just put the cell phone as the emergency CID.

Thanks

And when they seen your location as 11 Main Street, Anytown , and instead you are at McDonalds in Nowhereville?

In any case, whether Zulu/Connect bypasses the PBX to send the native mobile CID, or to send the mobile CID with the emergency value, you would need to tell first responders your location. That is assuming the individual calling 911 was able to speak. Otherwise, they would have to ping your phone.

They will not be able to do that if using VoIP because the cell phone’s modem does the location for 911 when a call to them arrives. Instead the call is coming from your PBX, and provider.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.